16. That Unknown Man

The arrow whooshes past, narrowly dodging Mom's head. Seconds later, Paylor drops to the ground - an arrow sticking out of her chest.

I take this moment to drop my weapon. I take a deep breath - it had been a long time since I killed anyone. 'I am the Mockingjay - and we need to take action. I don't know what's going on., and I doubt that you guys do either. So let's find out. Let's go to District 1 and 2, and find out what's happening. We can do this - we can work as a team.'

'Corny much?' someone whispers.

I look straight at him, and gasp. There is this inviting energy about him that makes chills run down my back. I read his tag. District 4's male mentor. His eyes, especially, are so deep. With dark eyelashes framing those almond-shaped jewels, I cannot help but stare at his undeniable beauty. Something annoys me - I know this person. I've met him before, I'm sure of it. I'm just not quite sure.

I look around the room, trying to see what the other people think of my outburst. I realise how much of a danger I'm in when I see their faces. Unlike the good-looking man from district 4, their expressions are so cold that I feel like they are trying to freeze me into ice.

Someone finally breaks the silence. 'No, Mockingjay. We follow Paylor, dead or not.'

I swallow. 'Your choice.' I mutter. 'But if you know best, you'll already know the winning side.' I mean really. Who would win? A bunch of empty, untrained followers or us - the Mockingjay, Peeta, Gale, Beetee, Rue, Finnick... and of course, Plutarch.

Another guy quickly nods. Peeta suddenly runs out of the hallway, carrying Rue. Finnick stumbles behind. He puts Rue on the ground. Though bloody and broken, she manages a smile. Peeta stares at her, but still smiles too.

'She's a fighter,' he whispers into my ears.

A woman rushes in from the crowds. 'I can help', she yells. Even before I have time to look at her properly, I know who she is. My mother, come to be the healer.

'Not now,' Rue shouts, and even with this small action, I can see that she is in pain. 'We're leaving.'

I finally realise just how clever she is, showing me that I am the one with the near-sightedness.

'That's right,' says a voice from the back.

I sigh, realising that it is that handsome mentor again.

I ignore and slowly walk away. 'Just before you do anything stupid,' I add. 'I can kill all of you - while I'm pretty sure none of you have even killed one person in your entire lives.'

A few shudder, and take a step back. Others still look determined, but seem to be taken aback, especially with Peeta and his knife. Peeta was always known for his extraordinary strength.

We leave slowly and quitely, with only the sound of Rue wincing in pain. Peeta lifts her up and puts her into his arms. Mom follows us silently. I smile at her, knowing that she sure would be valuable in our mission. Finnick also looks quite happy, although he too is covered in scratches and bruises. He's finally getting the adventure he always wanted.

We walk out of the building, when I hear heavy footsteps. Sure, Peeta is quite loud, but he's already all the way in front. Without hesitating, I load my arrow on my bow, and aim at the person's neck.

'Really?' the person says.

I soon realise that it's the mentor from before.  Letting my arm down, I let out an exasperated sigh. Peeta spins back, and lets out a chuckle.

'I think we have a shadow,' Peeta smiles. In his eyes I can see the flicker of recognition. He clearly knows who this man is too. How do I know him?