15. The Smear of Blood

I barge out of the room, leaving Rue alone in the darkness.

In the next door, I can hear Paylor mumuring to someone. I kick the door open.

'Paylor - I had to tell you. We are no longer on your side.'  But the expression that Paylor returns to me is the opposite to what I had imagined.

'We thought you might do this...' she replies. 'Okay then. Your loss. Just know, we are still here if you want to fight for us.'

I nod, and swiftly leave the room. Mom stares at me sadly, although I have no idea why.

'Katniss', she yells.

I spin around, just in time to catch the object. It feels so familiar in my hands - almost as if it had been molded into them. I look at it, and smile. It's my bow. I attatch it quickly to my belt. I do not know why she had thrown this to me, but I still look at her gratefully. Suddenly, the atmosphere of the room changes.

I just leave silently, hoping that everything is alright.

I return to Greasy Sae's Room, where Peeta is still sitting. I sigh, and go sit next to him.

'Look, Peeta. I'm sorry, okay? But don't you get it? No more secrets.'

Peeta looks up at me. 'Katniss. I'm sorry I didn't tell you - but really... would you have come if I actually did tell you?'

I consider this for a minute - and he's right. I would've never agreed to this. It's just now, I have no choice. I have to be with Gale and Beetee, and protect them - after all, I do owe Gale.

'Peeta... why did you agree to this?' I ask him. I had never really gotten an answer from him.

'Because... of our kids.'

What? What does he mean our kids? Our kids deserved to be safe. Unhurt. Protected.

'What do you mean?' I ask, with a dangerous hint of suspicion in my voice.

'I know you still remember...' He talks in a dream-like voice, almost as if he is day dreaming.

'I loved you Katniss. I really did - not that it's changed. There is nothing worse than the thought of losing you.'

A smile plays up on my lips.

He continues. 'Do you remember? At night? I felt so safe - almost like I was in heaven. I was protecting you. Guarding you with my arms.'

I remember. Those sleepless nights on the trains. Those nights when I thought that hope was gone - that I would sacrifice myself for Peeta any day. And not unlike Peeta, I still would.

'Those were my best memories. Although the Games hurt me, so much, it also gave me a couple of things in return.'

'What things? The never ending nightmares? The pain from our losses? The guilt that creeps up on me whenever I see Rue and Finnick?' I cannot believe that he is saying this. We both lost so much. Does he want our kids to go through that?

'No. It gave us... the ability to fight. To not give up. The assurance that nothing worse can happen. Don't you want that for our kids?'

I still stare at him with an angry expression. Of course I do! But in return, they would suffer.

'Rue and Finnick are smart, Katniss. They know exactly what they need.'

I nod, remembering Rue and her desperate need of Beetee.

'And they need this. Of course, I first, I couldn't disagree more - but then I began to see it. They've already been hurt. Lost loved ones. What worse can happen? This is our chance, Katniss. To really help them - the Games were not a curse, but a blessing. They need this.'

And then I begin to realise it too. Finnick had wanted to be in the Games, from the very start. Rue, with no second thoughts, had decided to be the second Mockingjay. It's in their blood - they were born as rebels. It's just that they realised it before we did. Sorry excuses as parents, I guess.

'Well then we'll let them fight,' I tell Peeta. He smiles, but in his eyes I can see that he too is scared for them. But like he said before, what worse can happpen?

'I've got other plans for them though.' Peeta looks at me, puzzled.

'We're rebelling against Plutarch, Katniss. I'm sorry about Gale, I really am. But I just can't afford to get this more messed up.' He replies, clearly in pain.

'Peeta. Listen to me. Rue, she does know exactly what she needs. She needs Beetee.' He looks at me again, and I can tell that he understands.

He sighs. 'Our family and the star-crossed lovers.' I nod, realising our bad fortune.

'Well let's go then - I guess we're on Plutarch's side then?'

'I guess so... unless Gale and Beetee have other plans.' We stand up, and walk out of the room. We go towards the Aerial Room, ready to leave - just us four, as we clearly cannot really trust anyone else now.

I see Rue's beautiful brown hair, and Finnick's red jumper. Peeta suddenly starts running in their direction.

'What is it?' I ask, trying to catch upto him.

'Look! What are they doing?'

I lift my head up, and finally see. A couple of guards are taking Rue and Finnick. They scream, but no one looks at them. Not even Mom. She trembles, but stays silent. I see Rue smacking the guard, and the guard hits her back. I scream, as the hits get worse. The other guard sees this, and starts doing the same to Finnick, although he is staying still. They start beating the children heavily, and drag them, until all I can see are smears of blood on the floor. I try to move but I can't. A blood-curdling scream pierces my ears a couple of times, and I realise that they are all mine. Peeta runs across to the guards, and to wherever they have taken the children.

I start shaking, and my legs seem to melt down onto the floor. I slowly collapse, as visions start to return - of my stylist, Cinna. Of that frightening ten seconds, where Cinna was too beaten, and gone with only a smear of blood. And how he never came back.

I look around, hoping to see if there is anything that I can do...

And see Paylor staring straight at me, satisfied. She smiles and says something, although I cannot hear her as she is distant.

I walk over to her, and the closer I get, I can smell... roses. The suffocating, artificial smell of those foul roses. Her golden eyes grow colder and colder, until I look away and see Mom. She stares at the ground, so... miserable. Tears are falling out of her eyes. I feel like screaming, just as I did 25 years ago, but cannot. I have found that I can no longer find words.

I eventually reach Paylor, and hear her final words.

My heart nearly stops, and for a second I think I have no hope.

'Remember? We are killing every one on Plutarch's side.' she says coldly.

But only for a second.

I grab the bow out of my belt, and aim directly at her.

'Well then we are doing the same.' I whisper, before shooting.

Thank you so much guys for reading my book! I really do hope you enjoyed this - do you reckon I should continue? I am sort of losing interest, but it is still quite fun! And please comment on what you reckon should be the title for the book!