9. The Second Mockingjay

What was it? Although my mind screeches at me to not turn back, my feet move before I could think. My mouth opens instantly and screams for Peeta's name. I run and run, back to the tree. I spot the helpless deer, lying limp beneath me. I keep looking, praying over and over again.

Please don't be Peeta.

I climb the tree, to see if he is hiding there. Somehow, I don't care anymore if he is hijacked. We're going to die anyway - might as well spend some time with him.  I keep climbing, in hope that he would be there at the top, where I left him just a couple of minutes ago. He was hurt though. I stabbed him with my arrow. Suddenly, my heart starts hurting. I miss him, and long for him, although as far as I know, he may be just ten centimetres away from me.

I continue climbing up. Although I had not done climbed for a very long time, my instincts return to me as soon as I step foot on the tree. I look up. And then I see it.

It's Peeta.

I realise that I have not stopped shouting his name. Why didn't he reply back? Why is he facing the sky, when he should be staring at me with the same love that we shared only a couple of days ago? Why... is he... sodden with blood?

'Argghhh!' I give the most inhumane scream that anyone has ever heard. More screams escape my throat, and I start sobbing hysterically. He's gone.

It's the same as the Quarter Quell. I cannot stop once I begin. Only this time, there is no Finnick to save Peeta. Although it is clear that he has left me, I keep climbing. I have to at least try to fix this. I have no choice. My heart keeps throbbing, like it has ripped into pieces.

I get to the top. There is no mistaking the fact.

He's gone.

Tears streaming down my face, I extend my hand towards his face, intending to caress it gently. Instead, my hand goes right through him. My eyes grow bigger and bigger, until it starts to finally soak into me.

Peeta is transparent.

What? Am I going mad? My breath gets faster and faster, as I try to consider this fact. Peeta is dead. Then why is this transparent version of him here? What's Paylor thinking? What... What are Rue and Finnick seeing right now? I breathe deeply, trying to think rationally. I will not give the viewers, or especially Paylor the happiness of a good show. I will not let Rue and Finnick see defeat. I grit my teeth and sit next to him. I stare at the sky, letting them see that they have not gotten the best of me.

Hang on. Where's Peeta then? I suddenly start to scream his name out again. I don't care if the other tributes find me. I'm dead anyway. I can never be alive, even if I win. I need Peeta.

A parachute lands on my shoulder. Wait. I have sponsors? How does a forty one year old woman have sponsors? Isn't that what Snow did? What really is happening with Paylor?

I open the parachute. And then I see something bright. Something happy. Something that I'm missing right now.

Hope.

I cannot really open hope in the Parachute. But that's what I really thought when I saw what was actually in it.

My old Mockingjay pin.

Wait.. Something looks different. I pick it up in my hands, and turn it back. It's a little bigger. Almost like a mother to my old one. I slowly begin to see the writing that is engraved on the back of it.

'The First Mockingjay'.

What does this mean? I am the only Mockingjay. There are no others... right?

Then I hear another cannon fire. And then I see it. A hovercraft. It comes closer and closer to me, and finally, it releases a small ladder. I step on it without questioning what may be inside. I have hope now. And it can't be much worse then right here.

As the my eyes adjust to the bright light, I see them.

Peeta firstly runs upto me, and I know that he is not hijacked. He kisses me passionately, and I don't want to break away. Never. I want to freeze this moment, right here, right now, and...

'live in it forever,' he says. I smile, and realise that he really does know me well. A chuckle suddenly breaks behind him.

'Mom, Dad. Seriously?' I spin around, and face Rue. She... looks so familiar. And then I see the symbol. My eyes grow darker, realising what kind of danger she may be in. It is all too familiar.

She stands, in my old mockingjay suit. What scares me most is the small pin on her chest. The one I would recognise anywhere. The small mockingjay pin smiles at me, and I know that this one is the genuine one. I know what happens after this, better than anyone else.

Rue doesn't realise this though. Only I truly know the pain.

And though I once thought that my children would be safe forever, I know for sure now that nothing has changed from when I was growing up. My heart pangs once again.

The pin stares back at me, knowing that I can never really get rid of it.

Rue is the Second Mockingjay.

I will explain all the confusing things in the next chapter! Keep reading and commenting!