Back At 221B

After an enjoyable three days, it was time to head back to Baker Street and pick up the case where you had left off.

You hadn't thought the visit would be as wonderful as it had been, but it was exactly the distraction you needed for a fresh start with the investigation.

Sherlock's father had been lovely. He had made breakfast every morning to surprise you and Sherlock. He made a perfect cup of tea every time and always brought nice conversations to the table. Even the consulting detective seemed to enjoy himself. He had loosened up around his father after the lecture you gave him and actually took the initiative to help out around the house.

It had dawned on him how lonely and sad his dad truly was. Mycroft hadn't been exaggerating. The loss of his wife had hit him hard. He needed his sons in this tough time.

You zipped up the suitcase before carrying it downstairs. You put it in the hall and followed the voices of your boyfriend and his dad to the sitting room.

''I'm glad you visited, Sherlock. I rarely see you boys anymore. Mycroft calls sometimes, but he's always too busy to stop by.''

''I'll just have to stop by his office and give him a piece of my mind then,'' you said, joining the conversation.

Mr Holmes smiled. ''You do seem to have quite the influence on my boys, (Y/N),'' he chuckled. ''Don't scare them too much.'' He winked at you.

Sherlock looked offended. ''I'm not afraid of her! I'm equally as terrifying.''

''Sure you are, honey.'' You kissed his cheek, grinning to yourself.

''I'm glad Sherlock found you, dear. You two were made for each other.''

You smiled. ''Thank you, sir. Don't worry, I'll be sure to keep him out of trouble.''

''More like in trouble,'' Sherlock whispered to you. ''Well, we should get going!'' He jumped up.

''Yes, of course. You're both busy, I understand.'' Mr Holmes smiled sadly, embracing you both before guiding you back to the hall.

''You're more than welcome to come visit us at Baker Street. It must get awfully lonely here,'' you said.

''Oh, thank you, dear. That's kind of you. Surely you'll stop by more often here?''

You nodded. ''When Sherlock and I finish this case, we're all yours.''

You said your goodbyes before heading outside to Mycroft's car.

You watched as Mr Holmes waved until he disappeared out of sight. Sighing, you told Sherlock, ''I feel bad for him. You can tell how alone he is.''

''I know. Mycroft is aware of it, too. He's been trying to get our father to move to a nursing home. He's having more and more trouble taking care of himself and the house. Yet, he keeps refusing.''

''I don't think he'll ever want to leave that house. Too many memories,'' you pointed out.

''He'll have to. He can't live like this. It's too dangerous for him to live alone. Anything could happen at any moment!''

You noticed he was getting worked up and comfortingly rubbed his shoulder. ''We'll keep an eye out for him.''

''The case is enough to have on my mind. I can't worry about things like this, it'll interfere with my work.''

''We'll work it out. We always do.'' You tried your best to sound convincing, but in reality, you weren't confident in your cause at all. You worried it would be impossible to beat Moriarty if you could even find him in the first place.