Read My Lips: Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Zach’s p.o.v

I couldn’t help but feel bad as I watched Maisie turn around to enter her house. I knew that sooner rather than later, I was going to end up being the one who broke her heart.

It sucked knowing that when I met her, she had no friends but now she had five and I knew she trusted us all. This whole business with Max was going to ruin everything; her trust, our friendship and most importantly, our relationship.

When she found me earlier fighting in that alleyway, I really wasn’t sure what to think. Then stupidly, I’d told her that he owed me money. That was only partially the truth. I sort of liked to fight, I had to fight and I was earning money from doing that.

See, I sort of had a… manager (I guess you could say). Bets were set up to him and if I won (which most of the time I did) then I’d get most of the share of the earnings. It benefits my family greatly though considering it was only me and my mum.

My mum didn’t know that I fought. I knew that if she ever found out that she’d flip shit. And my mum was freakin’ scary when she was angry. You didn’t want to get on the bad side of her.

Anyway, I walked off from the direction of Maisie’s house. I knew that I wouldn’t have any run-ins with any of the fighters or the people who placed bets. I was safe from now. So, like every night after I fought, I headed home. I knew that my mum wouldn’t be in since she had to work.

The house was empty when I arrived home so I went straight upstairs. After collapsing on my bed, my eyes slowly shut and before I knew it, I was out of it.

 Maisie’s p.o.v

The day of my operation approached faster than I had expected. Before I knew what day it was, I was sat in the hospital with my parents and Zach. Like he had promised, he was with me whilst I waited.

“Everything will be ok, you know that right?” Dad asked, sitting on the chair that was beside me.

I nodded. “Hopefully everything will be.”

Truth was I was absolutely terrified. I’d never had an operation in my life so I had no idea what to expect. The doctor had greeted us when we had arrived and he went through everything that was going to happen. So now, we were waiting for the preparation in order for the operation to continue.

My dad shortly left to go to the café with my mum so that left me here with Zach. He moved onto the chair beside me and wrapped his arm around me as he pulled me into his chest.

“Don’t be scared, you’ll be perfectly fine. I’ll be here when you wake, I promise.” Zach whispered before leaning forward and pressing his lips to my forehead.

I smiled up at him as he pulled his lips from my forehead. “Thank you.”

He just smiled in reply before pulling me back into his arms. I snuggled into his chest as his arms tightened around me as we waited for the doctor to come.

It’s not long before the doctor arrives. After hugging my parents and Zach one more time, I leave and follow the doctor.

 ----

When I wake up a few hours later, my parents are in the room along with Zach who’s sat in the chair beside my hospital bed.

My head was aching slightly making me feel somewhat dizzy. Also, where I’d had the operation, i felt slightly uncomfortable but that was apparently normal.

My mum’s the first one who notices that I’m awake. As if by instinct, she rushes up to my bedside and wraps me up in a delicate hug before pulling away to look at my face. “Are you ok?” She asks stroking the side of my face.