Read My Lips: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“So, are you ready to go?” Zach asked. It was the end of the school day and I was waiting where Zach and I had agreed to meet for our tutoring session.

“Yes, are you?” I replied standing up from my seat on the bench. I picked up my bag and slung it over my shoulder. 

Tonight I was helping Zach with his maths. I don’t know why he even asked me. Sure, I was in the highest maths class and I guess I was good at it but wasn’t their prettier, non-deaf girls who could tutor him? Did he even know I was deaf?

He had to know I was. Everyone knew I was deaf; that was the main reason people bullied me. If he didn’t know then I wasn’t going to tell him. Not yet anyway. What was the point in telling him and risking the chance of possible having a friend?

“So, where should we go for you to tutor me?”

To be honest, my house was probably the best place. If his parents were there then I wouldn’t know if they were talking to me unless I could see their faces. Also, if they came into the house and said ‘hello’ or something then I’d never know. Obviously my parents knew so there’d be no trouble there and he wouldn’t figure it out… Well, not this soon anyway.

“We go to mine?” I asked as we walked out of the school gates. I tried my best to keep my eyes on his lips so I could see his reply.

“Sure. Lead the way.” He smiled holding his arm out.

         As soon as I opened the door to my house, like every other day, a little body slammed into my legs. I bent over and pulled my little brother into my arms.

“Hi little bro,” I grinned, hugging him tight. I could feel his chin moving against my shoulder meaning Austin was either talking to me or talking to Zach who was stood beside me. I pulled out of the hug and looked at his little face. “Did you say something?”

“Yeah. Who’s that?” He pointed over my shoulder and I turned around to face Zach.

“This Zach. I tutoring him maths. Say hi.”

“Hi!” Austin grinned waving his little hand at Zach.

“Hi there little guy. What’s your name?” I moved my eyes from Zach’s face and back to Austin’s to see his reply.

“My name is Austin.” He grinned almost as if he was proud. He was so cute.

I motioned for Zach to come in the house then closed the door behind me. “Is mum in kitchen?” I asked Austin.

“Yep!” He said, still grinning.

“Follow me.” I smiled at Zach and walked off in the direction of the kitchen.

My mum was sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen on her laptop. When she heard us enter she shut the lid and stood up. “Oh good your home…” She trailed off looking behind me at Zach. “Who’s this?”

“This Zach. I tutoring him maths.” I smiled turning to Zach. “Zach, mum. Mum, Zach.”

“Nice to meet you Zach.” My mum smiled politely.

“It’s nice to meet you to.”

My mum smiled once more at him before returning her look to me. “Um, Maisie, why don’t you show Zach to your room then come back here. I need to talk to you.”

I nodded my head in reply and sat Austin down in his seat before leading Zach back out the room. It was silent the whole walk there. Well, I was silent; I had no idea if he was talking. My room wasn’t really something I wanted him to see, I was planning on just using the dining room.