Read My Lips: Chapter 11

Chapter 11

When I woke up on Saturday morning, it felt like everything that had happened last night was a dream. I still didn’t know if last night was a date or not but I guess it wouldn’t harm to pretend it was… right?

Since today was Saturday, I didn’t actually have anything to do. Like every other day, I got up and got dressed before heading downstairs.

I knew that my parents were probably going to be planning when I had to go see another doctor about my condition. Not that I minded but I just wanted everything to be over with. I wanted to see if I could get my hearing back, then, I just wanted to get it back so that I could carry on and have a normal life.

As I went downstairs, true to my previous thoughts, my mum was on the phone to my doctor. Probably discussing an appointment about what was going to happen.

On one hand, I really wanted to get my hearing back. I wanted to hear what my parents now sounded like, and of course, I wanted to hear what Zach sounded like. Also, I was sick of being picked on by people at school, especially Amy and Luke. So, If I ever got my hearing back then it would put all of that to an end.

But, on the other hand, I didn’t want to get it back. I was used to not hearing. Everything would change once I could hear again. And after been so used to not being able to, it would be weird. Really weird and I didn’t know if I was ready to hear again, no matter how good it would be.

“So,” mum started. She had sat me down on the sofa beside her. “I scheduled your fist appointment with Dr Williams. I tried to get it for as soon as I could and it just so happens that there’s a slow free for tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” I asked shocked. Tomorrow I’d be finding out if I was ever going to be able to hear again. And it scared me.

She nodded her head as a reply to my question. “Yes, tomorrow. It’s not until noon so you don’t have to worry about it yet.”

I didn’t really know how to reply to that, so I didn’t.

----

As Sunday arrived, I had been awake since 6am. I couldn’t sleep. The nerves about visiting the doctor were already building up. After my mum had come in to wake me up, I took a quick shower and dried my hair before adding some makeup and getting dressed.

My dad had taken Austin to my grandparents as it was Sunday so they were going for dinner there. I, on the other hand, was stuck going to a doctor’s appointment with my mum.

Once I’d finished getting ready, we took off on a journey to the doctors. Honestly, I’d much rather be staying at home, in bed and doing nothing since it was a Sunday. But, I guess we all can’t get what we want.

We managed to get straight into the room with my doctor. My mum and I sat down opposite his desk beside each other. Nervous didn’t begin to describe how I felt.

After Dr Williams had gone through the cause of my deafness, he started to look into it further. In the end, after about fifteen minutes, he asked me if I’d ever heard of a Cochlear Implant; which I hadn’t. So, he described it to me.

And it was finally decided that I’d be getting surgery for the Cochlear Implant. It was scary because after I’d have this operation, I had to wait a further three to six weeks for it to be actually turned on. Dr Williams described how around the area of the site of the implant, my head would have to be shaved. This surprisingly didn’t bother me all that much.

It was decided in the end that next weekend would be when I went in for my operation. Considering how close I’d recently become with Zach, I decided that I’d tell him about what was happening.