Part 37: Maelstrom

He broke the surface of the Continental plate and saw her standing there, back to him concentrating intently in the middle of the chaos that surrounded Nation Plaza. The scene that presented itself was of utter madness. The sun had set behind the horizon and the artificial blue-white lights lit the plaza and the surrounding buildings from below, casting long shadows up the side of their external walls - making the entire large plaza feel unnaturally claustrophobic. The plaza itself had been mostly repaired from the devastating impact of the Jubliee Cannon’s ascension, but there were still neat square holes and scaffolding dotted around the continental plate. 

But the thing that Soran was interested in was the water. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of water were being pumped into the plaza and then falling through the gaps into the Undercity below. Torrents of water were cascading down the sides of the skyscrapers from high above, bubbling up through broken pipes and even being arcanely summoned through the air in great snake-like floating rivers leading all the way from the coast, before dropping into the square plaza. The water was clean and clear, but it all appeared black in the light of the moon and artificial lights. In the middle of the chaos stood Vittoria, in a small patch of dryness which was repelling the water around it and preventing the maelstrom from hitting Vittoria. Soran touched down on the ground at the edge of Nation Plaza behind Vittoria, diverting the water around himself using his Skry abilities. This meant that she wasn’t directly controlling the torrent, only directing its flow. But why?

“Welcome back Soran” Vittoria said without turning to face him. “It’s been some time”.

He remained silent.

“I only sent you to retrieve Lord Draz, but that was over a year ago. What have you got to say for yourself?”

“I don’t answer to a fake monarch. I’ve been learning about your past, Vittoria”. Soran replied. She was in the centre of the Plaza and the maelstrom of water all around them meant that they had to shout over the roar of the white water rapids.

“My past?” Vittoria stated, uninterested. “Pleas, do tell my child” she sighed.

“I met you, and your mother and farther. In Arcadia, a very long time ago”. Vittoria whipped around to face him now, furious.

“What did you say?” Vittoria spat at him. 

“I met you in a new wing of the hospital. You were a very obedient child, Vittoria. Unlike your sister”. Vittoria turned suddenly pale.

“That was....you?” She hissed at Soran. “You were the melting man?” Soran smiled, he had her on the back foot for the first time since he met her.

“‘Melting Man’? Well I suppose that would about cover it. The Time Stream can be unpredictable”. 

“You travelled through the Time Stream?” Vittoria bit at Soran again. She was furious.

“How dare you commit such a heresy! To touch the Time Stream is a right reserved for the most prestigious of High Priestess’, not a mongrel such as yourself!” As she pointed at Soran a shockwave of water exploded out from her, primal and uncontrolled. The spray soaked Soran but he remained resolute in the face of her rage.

“You will pay for your indiscretion” she muttered.

“What is this, Vittoria?” He interrupted, gesturing to the elaborate water feature around them both. “What madness do I need to stop now?” Vittoria appeared taken aback by his interruption of her anger.

“This, Soran. This is a true High Priestess at work. Your feeble understanding of the Arcane wouldn’t allow you to comprehend what is at work here”.