Part 10: In Her Shadow

She heard a metallic ‘Clank’ as the object fell to the floor beside her. It was as if a cloud of confusion had been lifted from around her head and she could suddenly think clearly again. Her hands were covered in mud and debris, they hurt like hell and thick mud was lodged beneath the nails that hadn’t been pulled off. She was still wearing the black clothes that she remembered putting on - but how long ago was that? She stank and her greasy hair stuck to her face.

As the cloud of confusion lifted further she realized that she was freezing cold and surrounded by darkness. In the darkness she could make out ruins - the same ruins that had been rumored to be under the city. She could hear the sound of scurrying and animal noises that she didn’t recognize. What was going on? The fear and panic were starting to set in. What had happened to her? Where was she? As she got to her feet she started shivering - shaking from the cold and the fear. Tears started to form in her eyes as the dread began to set in. Something had made her start to dig a hole in the damp, clay-like earth. She had no control over her own actions. How could she get home? Back to her family, her farther? He’d be so worried about her, she was all he had in the whole world.

The thought of her farther grounded her, gave her the focus to fight back against the fear. She needed to find out where she was so she could try and get out. She looked around her, looking upwards at the black sky. She was clearly under Utopia City if the ruins were anything to go by. She was still looking up when she stumbled and fell over the hole she had apparently been digging. As she fell her arm landed on something warm and metallic, and all went black once more.