Part 26: Face-Off

Soran was hurtling effortlessly up the through the air to the side of the Corporation HQ. The building was new and only partially finished. Draz, then Natasha, then Vittoria. He knew in his heart that Draz knew something, something about Natasha and how Vittoria had invaded her mind. He’d take Natasha, subdue her and transport her to Vittoria, who he would threaten unless she withdrew her mind from his wife. He was done playing games. If there was one thing that Serene had taught him it was that those who act are the ones who make a difference - and he was damned sure he was going to make a difference to this situation he found himself in. 

As Soran mused about his plan he was passing the two hundred and twentieth floor. Suddenly out of nowhere he was grabbed by an irresistible force, pulling him into the side of one of the two towers. He slammed through the plate glass, rolling onto the floor and over broken glass cutting his skin and badly bruising his back. The floor was unfinished and empty - it was literally a massive space who’s roof was held up by several pillars. The space was circular with the main elevator shaft at the far end. As Soran stirred and began to drag himself to his feet, pulling the suddenly heavy Darklight Sword with him, he noticed a shadow blocking out a section of the bright morning sunlight that was spilling into the space from the surrounding glass walls. There were heavy footsteps which began to crunch over the broken glass fragments as they got closer to Soran. No not just heavy - these were unnaturally heavy, hitting the floor with a thump with every step. He got to his feet and raised his head, eyesight still swimming slightly, to see... a woman.

“Hello Soran” Her voice was slightly deeper than he expected. Her auburn hair fell straight, framing her face which was further covered by the large collar of the heavy black body-length trenchcoat she wore.

“A little warm for wrapping up isn’t it?” he asked her, spitting blood out of his mouth and onto the blue carpeted floor. That burning sensation in his chest was still there but suddenly he felt physically and mentally weak.

“Needs must” The woman replied. “We haven’t met yet but my name is Ana Corvus. Lord Ana Corvus”.

“That’s nice” Soran replied flatly. “How can I help you?” Ana smirked at him and looked at the ground.

“You can help me by dropping dead” She replied flatly. Soran noticed that she was staring at him. But it was strange - most people these days were scared of him. Proper shit scared of him. But her dark brown eyes bore into his with no hesitation. There was no hate in her eyes, just contempt and determination.

“Now that’s not gonna happen” Soran replied.

“Oh I think it just might” Came another voice that Soran didn’t recognize. Apparently neither did Ana as she whipped around to look at the elevator shaft behind her. Through it stepped a man, around the same height of Soran and wearing the same uniform that he used to wear - the combat trousers, black heavy cotton zipped up combat vestment and with some kind of blade weapon strapped to his back. His physical similarity to Soran was quite striking, he even had long black hair scraped back into a ponytail and a scruffy goatee.

“I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure” Soran said, looking at the new man curiously as he approached the broken glass area of the floor. His boots were even the same - laced up black combat boots.

“You’re right, we haven’t” He replied, coming to a stop next to Ana who eyed him carefully. Soran dropped back down, resting on his knee.

“Forgive me, feeling a little under the weather” he said to the new man with an ironic smile.

“My name is Captain Farrell” The man replied, ignoring Soran.

“There’s no Captain Farrell in the Corporation military” Ana retorted to him. He ignored her completely.