Chapter X

Chapter X

In my defense, I hadn’t seen him for seven years. Last I had known Sam he had been a boy of twelve, now he was a young man of nineteen. Well, not quite, a week short of nineteen. He had certainly grown over the years. His shoulders had gotten broad and his frame was large and he looked very rough and rugged and, dared I think, handsome? I blushed suddenly when I remembered that moment when our eyes had met. Had he recognized me?

“That was him?” I finally stammered.

“Yes, that was him. But don’t feel bad, honey child, he didn’t recognize you either.”

“How do you know?”

“I watched the whole thing from the window.”

Oh no, I hoped she hadn’t noticed us staring at each other.

“From his behavior I could see plain as day that he didn’t know who you were. He would have called to you if he had recognized you.”

“Says who?” I waved my hand, “I don’t think he even remembers me.”

“You’re wrong there. He’s been here for about a month and he’s been asking about you nonstop.”

“Has he?” Oh that dreadful blush. Elsie would be sure to notice it. At that moment I hated the fact that I had such white skin which turned a deep pink so easily.

“Yup, he’s been wanting to see you since the moment he arrived. He remembers you very well. You should talk to him when you find a moment."

“I certainly will,” I smiled, “but right now I need a bath and then dress for lunch.”

***

“Just remain calm, Sarah,” I told myself as I haltingly stepped out into the garden. “It’s only Sammy! You knew him as a child. You were best of friends with him. He helped you with your homework and taught you the names of all the flowers. There’s nothing to get so nervous about.” I was so caught up in my thoughts that I walked straight into a wall, making me lose my balance and fall over. I looked up and turned red.  The wall had been Sammy. How did there suddenly become so much of him in just seven years? I was tiny compared to him.

“Seems we have a habit of bumping into each other.”

His voice had gotten so deep!

“Hello, Sammy.” I said, not knowing what else to say and hating the fact that I was sprawled out on the ground. He gave me his hand and helped me up.

“Well, look at you,” I said once I had brushed off my dress, “gone and grown without me even knowing it! I can’t believe you are back.”

“Honestly, I can hardly believe it myself,” he chuckled. “Who would have thought that I would make a full circle and end up coming back here?”

“But how happy you must be. And Ben, and Em and Elsie and Nettie. No wonder Ben was all aglow when I came back. I didn’t quite recognize you back there; it was Elsie who told me about your return.”

“I didn’t recognize you either, so we’re even,” he laughed. We sat down on a bench in the garden. The same bench on which I had sat the day Sammy had told me he was leaving.

“So, tell me about yourself,” I prodded, I was most interested about where he had been the past seven years and what he had been doing.

“I lived with the Thompsons for three years. I had hoped to see you at least once in a while, seeing as the Thompsons are your closest neighbors!”

“I hate them,” I stated. “Yes, I know, hate is a strong word and I have just said a very strong statement, but I honestly do hate the Thompsons and their company. They invited me once or twice but I couldn’t bear the idea of being in their home and constantly being at the mercy to their insults. At least when they come to visit us I am on home territory and able to hold up at least some sort of defense.”