Chapter Four

Not That Innocent

It was 6am. Birmingham was cold and dark. The Shelby men had started throwing their bags into the back of Tommy's car, ready for the week ahead. Tommy rolled his eyes at the sight of his brothers, Arthur and John trying to be of any function at that time in the morning. Tommy had asked them to keep the noise down, they were outside Olivia's house and Tommy didn't want to wake her so early in the morning.

'You ready lads?' Tommy asked as he watched Arthur throw the last bag in the boot. His brother, nodded his head and motioned for them to jump in the car.

'Come on lads! We're going on fucking holiday!' Arthur shouted at the top of his voice, not considering the other neighbours on the street still in their beds. Tommy glared at Arthur as he got in the drivers seat. John laughed at his brothers.

'Yeah Tommy! Fucking holiday!' John shouted even louder. Tommy slapped John on the arm as he looked up at Olivia's bedroom to see if she was twitching at the curtains. There was no sign. He started the engine and turned to his brothers, a smile plastered on his face. A rare sight for his brothers.

'Right lads, lets go on fucking holiday!' Tommy laughed as the car pulled into the street. John leaned over and started blaring out the car horn. He leaned out of the car window, not a care in the world. The streets were dead and still not a person in Birmingham was ready for the day ahead.

'The peaky blinders are going on holiday!'

Olivia woke to the sound of a car horn being repeatedly beeped. She groaned and fell back on the bed. I will kill those boys when they get back. She rolled over to Tommy's side of the bed, only to see the creased of where he laid the night before. Olivia grazed her hand over the spot. She didn't mind the fact he was being whisked away by his brothers on holiday, but god did she miss him when he wasn't around. She felt almost different when he wasn't around, like she couldn't be herself. Tommy had made her even more of the person she was today. Without him, She would still be a club singer working for Sabini.

Olivia groaned as she clumsy stumbled out of bed and made herself presentable for the day ahead. The last thing she wanted to do was go to work, but seeing the girls would make it worth the slog of getting out of bed.

She was missing Tommy's presence in the morning. He would usually tug at her hand and pull her back into bed.

'I'm the boss. You don't need to work today.' Was his usual comment. Olivia smiled as she knew Tommy needed this week away with his brothers. He hadn't had a break in such a long time.

Olivia made it to work, dragging her feet in as she did. Polly greeted her with a motherly smile.

'Have they gone then?' Polly asked, as she counted through a large amount of money. Olivia sighed and threw herself into a chair at the table. 'I'll take that as a yes.'