Chapter Fifteen

Thursday was a day that really made me happy to be a wolf. After the date with Matthew, things were pretty much official and everyone knew it. All day I had other wolves coming up to me, saying "congratulations" and "good job finding you mate". I started to feel that maybe I really was one of them, that I could really be a part of the pack. Maybe even someday be their Alpha - If they would allow it. But I knew Joel would be first choice. He had grown up with these people, lived their lives, felt their sorrows. I'd barely been there more than a month. Not that it bothered me. But it was still nice to think that if I did win, I would be accepted, maybe even loved, rather than hated.

On Friday, we sat in the cafeteria; I was beside Matt, his arm holding me close; Paul with Emily, eating off a shared tray. And the four of us surrounded by our friends and pack members, chatting away about our weekend plans. Of course we mostly had homework and training, but the latter was not for the particularly peckish ears of humans, seeking interesting gossip. So training would not be a topic of interest in public. Instead they discussed the possibility of a get together over the weekend.

"You know, we should have a party, there haven't been any good ones in a while," Mel said.

Elliot swallowed his drink. "No-go. Dad's still kind of nuts about the last one." He grinned; it did get a little nuts at my welcome party.

Mel turned to look at me, since Joel wasn't there. "Well, what about your place? I'm sure your dad would let us throw a party."

I shook my head. "I've only really been his kid for a month and a half. I don't think I should be asking for big parties just yet."

Mel looked as though she wanted to say something, but Joel saved the day by sliding into the seat next to me, quickly side-hugging me before turning to Mel.

"No parties. But we could have a movie night. You know, just us. You guys could come over tonight and we'll just hang." He was all business, it was easy to see he'd make a great Alpha.

There were no real objections. A movie night it would be. Joel, Nick and Elliot walked with Matt and I to English. Nick and Elliot dragged a couple extra tables over and the five of us sat together as Mr Davis began setting up for a class of practice essay writing. Things were silent after that until the bell rung and class was dismissed.

Back at the pack-house, Joel was quick to inform the Alphas of our impending guests. We ran to the second floor, throwing ourselves into the massive rumpus room. The couch was large enough to fit most of us, but it would be a bit cramped. Joel opened a closet off to the side and dragged out a few beanbags to make up the extra seats, whilst I began to raid the DVD cabinet beside the TV.

There was a very eclectic range of DVD’s inside. Movies like Titanic and How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, sat next to Friday the 13th and Die Hard. I grinned rifling through to see if any of my favorites were in there. And they were. 10 Things I Hate About You. The Breakfast Club. Dirty Dancing. The Goonies. Yeah, I was a bit of a nut for the older stuff. I felt Joel come to stand behind me for a moment, watching. Then he scoffed.

“You like those movies?”

“They’re great! Better than half the crap you see these days.”