Dance of Death

The elves returned home to try and find some way to revive Seanwhite. They found the half of the apple and knew there was nothing they could do. So handsome was he even in death that they couldn't find it in their hearts to bury him in the cold, dark earth. It was for this reason that they had built a coffin of glass and gold to place him in.

"I should have done more." Ruben said saddened about the death of the prince.

"You did what you thought right." Verte said consoling him. "He couldn't ask for more of you."

Ruben shook his head. He had grown to love Seanwhite over the years of serving in the castle.

"I still feel as if I could have done something." Ruben muttered. "I could have stayed with him here." As he said this he stood and walked to the coffin. He lifted the glass lid carefully. Had he not known the king wanted him dead he would have guessed the young prince to be asleep. Ruben leaned down and could smell something like apple blossoms.

"Sleep well my prince." He whispered. "I feel as if I should have done more to help you escape this fate. Please, forgive me."

After saying this, he pressed his lips against the dead prince. He poured his heart, his love, and apology into this kiss as he pushed sonera of his own breath past the boys warm lips.

This was enough to dislodge the piece of apple from Seanwhite's throat. He gagged and coughed before rolling to his side and spitting it out.

"You're alive!" Ruben exclaimed. "How is this possible."

"I'm not sure," Seanwhite replied, "but I do think that my stepfather deserves a visit.

*  *  *  *  *

The king woke from his nap with a start. He could hear music and laughter from downstairs. At first he wondered what was going on. Then he remembered. He had ordered a feast for that night. Smiling he stood to take a bath. The party was his own silent celebration for finally becoming the fairest in the land.

After drying himself, he dressed i his best clothes and stood beforhis mirror.

"Magick Mirror on the wall, who is fairest of them all?"

Famed is thy beauty majesty, but the young bride downstairs is far fairer than thee.

The king clenched his jaw. He had a new rival in his beauty. Then he hesitated. A young bride? What did the mirror mean? This was no wedding feast nor a costume party.

He rushed down the stairs and stood upon a balcony overlooking the grand hall. "Where is she?" he hissed as he scanned the room. Finally he saw her. A young woman had come still in her wedding gown. Hrs couldn't see the face for the veil hid it from view. He ran down the stairs and the guests parted so he could pass.

When he reached the bride he spun the girl around and tore the veil away and shrieked.

"It cannot be!"

Everyone grew silent and turned gasping in shock. The young bride wad no woman but Seanwhite in disguise.

"Hello stepfather." he said calmly. "I've come to take my throne from you."

"You are not of age yet!" the king replied chuckling. "How could you take it?"

"I believe that your attempts to murder me is enough to dethrone you." Seanwhite replied calmly. "It also gives you the death sentence. Guards!"

A pair of guards called out as they came forward. The crowd gasped ad they parted quickly. Between the two of them, held by tongs, were a pair of iron shoes. They had been stuck into a fire until they glowed red hot. The guards  set them before te king before removing his shoes. The king curled his toes fir he could feel the heat.

"Put them on stepfather," Seanwhite said. "and dance for us. This is a party after all."

The king stood frozen on the spot. The guards, after a moment or so, forced the king's feet into the shoes. His skin blistered and burned from the moment they touched the shoes. He shrieked and danced about, trying to kick the shoes off. The pain was excruciating and he could smell his flesh cooking.

He soon blacked out from the pain but was wakened again and again. If the shoes cooled they would be removed and heated again and placed back onto the king's feet. This went on until the king fell down dead.

The people were happy for the return of their young prince. Seanwhite ruled with a kind heart and everyone loved him. Not long after Seanwhite was crowned king, he and Ruben were married.

And as most all these stories end....

They lived happily ever after.