Twice Poisoned

The next morning before the elves left they warned Seanwhite to not talk to strangers.

"If anyone should come I won't even let them know I'm here." He promised.

Each of the elves bid him goodbye and walked away. Seanwhite stood on the doorstep and waved until they were out of sight.

"Now what to start with?" he muttered to himself.

First he decided to sweep and scrub the floor. Then he thought of doing the laundry but knew it would be foolish to get the water from the nearby stream.

"Surly I can get all the water I'll need and be able to hang it to dry." he thought to himself. "What are the chances of someone coming here again?"

Thus, he was able to get the water and heat it. He scrubbed the blankets, sheets, and clothes. After dumping the water and rinsing them in the stream he put up several cords between trees to hang the laundry to dry. He was just turning to go back into the house when he heard a voice cry out, "Fine wares for sell!"

Turning he saw a woman making her way to him. He had half a mind to run to the house, but he knew that would be rude. Instead he replied, "I'm afraid I have no money to pay with."

"Well I can at least sit and rest a moment here?" the woman asked in a sweet voice. "Could I trouble you for something to drink?"

Seanwhite knowing that he couldn't be harmed by giving her something fetched a mug from the house and filled it at the stream.

"Oh, thank you young man." the woman said as she took the mug. "I was heading for the next village but it seems I have lost my way. Could you please tell me which way I should go?"

The woman had come from the opposite direction of the castle, making Seanwhite fear her less.

"There is a village near the castle east of here." Seanwhite told her. "Just walk east and you'll be sure to find it."

"Thank you my boy." she said with a smile. "I should repay you in sonera way."

"It was no trouble at all." Seanwhite said hurriedly. "Really you need not repay me for something anyone would do."

"Nonsense." the woman said laughing. "I always repay a kindness when I can." She pulled from her basket a beautiful silver comb studded with emeralds. The teeth of it were of porcelain and the thing glittered i the sun, dazzling Seanwhite's eyes.

"It would look perfect in your hair." the woman said. "I'll even fix it in for you."

Before Seanwhite could object, the woman took hold of his hair and raised the comb saying, "Who's fairest now?"

Seanwhite cried out as he realized the woman was his stepfather. His cry was cut short as the comb was rammed into his scalp. He started feeling light headed and passed out watching his stepfather laughing.

*  *  *  *  *

"Seanwhite! Seanwhite!!"

He opened his eyes and found himself surrounded by the elves. Moaning he reached to a sore spot on his head and felt a sticky mess. "what happened?" he asked slurring.

"Your stepfather poisoned you," Verte said, "with this." She held out the silver comb.

"Some of the teeth broke off," Rose said holding out his hand to show the bloody teeth of the comb, "but we got all of them out."

Seanwhite sighed. "I'm sorry. I had finished the laundry and he came dressed as a woman. I wasn't going to take anything from him, but he rammed it into me before I could react."

"It's understandable." Orange said softly as she opened a jar of salve. "This will help heal the sore."

"We think we found the boy you spoke of helping you." Violet said with a smile. "We'll bring him with us tomorrow."

"Should we leave him alone again?" Jaune asked. "He has almost been killed twice in our absence."

"We won't leave him alone." Rouge said. "We'll act as if all of us are leaving, but Jaune, Rose, Bleu, and I will stay close. If anyone tries to get near the house we can head them off."

"Oh Rouge," Seanwhite said, "You do care."

Rouge smiled. "Anything to have the rightful king on the throne.

*  *  *  *  *

"Magick Mirror on the wall, who now is fairest of them all?"

Through perfume and poisoned comb you tried and failed. Tis your young stepson the fairest is hailed.

The king was infuriated. His blood ran cold and in his heart he knew he would have no peace until the boy was dead.

"He will die if it is the last thing I do!"

He rushed into his secret room in the dungeons and opened the book once more. His other attempts had failed because the remedy was obvious. He needed a way that had no antidote.

"Ha!" he cried. "A poisoned apple! There'll be no antidote to it!"

It was well into the night before the apple was finished. It was round, and shiny, with a white cheek on one side and a red cheek on the other. So well was it poisoned that only the red half was poisoned.

"Now for my disguise." the king muttered. "It'll need to be so complete that no one would suspect."

He knew that the boy wouldn't be left alone this time. Even if it seemed that way he wouldn't be completely alone.