Mirror Mirror

Ten years passed, and Seanwhite continued serving in the castle. He rarely saw his stepfather now except for glimpses through a window.

On this day he was on his hands and knees scrubbing the stairs in a courtyard with an old scrub brush. He finished the third step and sighed as he gazed up at the other ninty-seven he had left. Humming he stood and threw the last of the water from his bucket to rinse the stairs before turning to the well.

The castle had plumbing in some parts but others did not. Seanwhite didn't care to use the well nor to do any of the other chores he had for  he knew that it would help to keep his body toned.

As he lowered the bucket into the well, he started to sing. The song was one he made up as he went. It was of other places and other times of happiness, laughter, joy, and love. His voice was so pleasant to the ear that anyone that heard it would stop and admire whatever he sang. Even the animals would cease in their activities and chatter and pause to hear. Some even ventured into coming to him.

No one in the castle, save two people, could hear Seanwhite's song. One was his stepfather who was watching him from a high window. Upon hearing his song a fear grew within him. He closed the curtains and turned to get as far from the singing as he could.

The second was a servant hidden in the shadows of a rose bush. He had come to the courtyard to nap for a moment or two before returning to work. The singing had roused him and he did not wish to interrupt.

Slowly he stood and as the song ended started to applaud. Seanwhite was startled and seeing someone turned to run.

"Don't run away." The servant said. "I am sorry that I startled you, but I had been napping here and woke to your song."

"Who are you?" Seanwhite asked timidly.

"My name is Ruben, Your Highness." the servant replied.

Seanwhite was surprised he had been recognized as the prince. His face must have given him away for Ruben continued, "You are Prince Seanwhite aren't you? I only guessed by your appearance. Eyes red as blood. Hair black as ebony. Skin white as snow."

Seanwhite nodded as he took the servant in. He was quite attractive. He had dark hair, blue eyes, and was quite toned by the way his shirt fit him. A distant rumble of thunder broke his dirty thoughts.

"I must go," Seanwhite muttered, "I have to finish the stairs."

"Well let me help you," Ruben said.

Not many words passed between the young men. Each were too occupied by scrubbing the steps and stealing glances at each other.

*  *  *  *

Meanwhile, the king had made his way into his chamber. He locked the door behind him and pulled a cord to shift the curtains hiding the mirror. Then he uttered the incantation to call the spirit trapped within the glass forward.

"Slave in the Magick Mirror,

Come from the farthest space.

Through wind and sleet and rain I summon thee.

Speak!

Let me see thy face."

The surface of the mirror shimmered. The glass clouded over as lightning flashed within it's glass. Flames shot up behind the glass as a thick smoke rippled the reflection.

The king saw himself and yet it wasn't him. Everything about his reflection was the same except the face. It were as if he were wearing a mask for the mouth smiled constantly and the eyes were hollow and black. A voice no louder than a whisper came forth as the reflection's mouth moved.

What would thou know, my king?

"Magick Mirror on the wall," the king replied, "who is fairest of them all?"

Famed is thy beauty Majesty, but there is another I do see. Rags cannot hide his love and grace, for he is fairer than thee.

"Reveal his name so I may gain his beauty." The king whispered leaning forward.

Eyes red as blood. Hair black as ebony. Skin white as snow.

"Seanwhite!" the king gasped.