Chapter 09

"What do you want?" The words seemed like wind against my lips as I spoke them.

He squeezed me a little too tightly and I realized this wasn't some friendly hug. Simon was keeping me in place. He was either protecting me or trying to confirm a deal I hadn't agreed to yet. "I have a party to attend this Tuesday. A conference among the power players in the supernatural community, if you will, and I need to show how well we wolves interact with humans."

"A Halloween party?" I asked, my interest piquing slightly. Halloween and parties were my favorite thing. This deal wasn't sounding too bad so far.

He made a humming noise and looked at me out of the corner of his eyes. "You can dress up if you'd like."

I slipped my fingers into his and broke the hold he had on me, but something told me he had let me do it. I dipped down, pulling my shoulder away from his chin, and turned towards him. Holding my hand out, probably a little too high up, but the secret smile on his face told me that perhaps it wasn't just a Halloween party. That perhaps I was a little too hasty in accepting. Come Tuesday, I suppose I'd find out.

"Deal."

After he shook my hand, he plunked his hands into his jean pockets and casually walked down the stairs towards the man he'd called Cypress. His too large black knit sweater billowed behind him the closer he got to Cypress, making it seem like the wind was only happening in the area around him.

I felt Arden come up beside me. She knocked me none-too-gently in the side. "What'd he talk you into doing?"

Wrapping my arms around my stomach, I shrugged. "I get to go to another Halloween party is all. I love Halloween parties, so it's not a big deal to me."

"A Halloween party?" Arden paused and gave a curious stare down at the two men. Whatever it was, it dawned on her within seconds and she rolled her eyes before patting me gently on my shoulder. "Oh no. And it's not a Halloween party."

I turned with a frown. "He said I could dress up... what's oh no?"

"Simon is a handful at parties or any unknown crowded areas really. It's why he lives out here."

What did that mean? "He doesn't handle his booze?" I asked.

Arden shook her head. It was clear she wasn't going to give away anything either, so I tried again, curiosity getting the better of me. "He gonna feel me up?"

She shook her head again and waved her hand, "Nothing like that."

"That contract is only for a week. After that she's mine, unless you'd like to fight," Cypress said in the scariest voice I'd ever heard. It was a tinkling of childlike innocence yet menacingly shrill like that evil toon in Roger Rabbit. I watched as Cypress raised a challenging eyebrow as he followed Simon, who was walking backwards, up the steps.

Wait! I wanted to shout it. Why were they coming up here?

Simon partially turned towards me, giving me a scowl as if to say 'you did this'. "I'm not fighting you, Cypress. I'll just embarrass you again, then you'll cry about it and try to get revenge. I can't deal with that again. Not so soon after the last time."

"I will beat you one of these days."

Simon gave a tight lipped smile. "Of course you will."

Covering her mouth with her hand, Arden turned to speak. "They always want to fight Simon. It's not just Cy."

"Why?"

"Because he's never been beaten," Arden said with admiration.

I raised an eyebrow and gestured towards Simon. "Him? Puh-lease, I could beat him with my pinky," I said.