Chapter 05

Boom. Boom. Boom.

No, please go away, was all I could think as I pulled the covers tighter around me, letting the toasty warmth saturate my skin.

I turned my face from my fluffy cotton pillow, and with a groan, called out helplessly, "I'm not buying!"

Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

I screamed around the material of my pillow as the freight train pounding on my front door became frequent. I swept my blankets off me, shivering from the sudden cold as I swung my legs over the side of the bed and slipped my feet into my gray bunny slippers, my movements jerking with irritation. "This guy better watch his junk," I mumbled under my breath as I stood up and walked to the bathroom door to grab my black robe off the hook.

When I walked past my kitchen, I rubbed my eyes furiously as the red letters on my microwave taunted me with the current time. It had to be wrong. No one was ever up at this time, at least anyone I knew. I peeked into my living room to glare at the clock on the wall as it confirmed the time.

Four-fifty in the morning required some massive testicle smashing. This guy was toast. Images of kicking him was the only thing keeping me standing and slowly moving towards the door, but when I finally managed to angrily swing the door open the sight before me almost left me speechless.

"Well?" the pint sized red-headed female standing before me asked while giving an expectant gesture.

My mouth dropped open as I attempted to talk, but instead just managed to shrug my shoulders and stare at her, completely baffled.

How could something so small make so much noise?

She rolled her eyes, leaned over the threshold to my apartment, and clamped her tiny hand in a vice-like grip around my upper arm, pulling me towards her. Her movements were fast and I barely managed to yelp at the feel of the girl's soft hand roughly pulling me outside.

Was this an assault?

The absurdity of the thought came just as I was partially out the door, but my hand shot out, punching her in the chest regardless. Killers wore many masks, even cute, fairy faced teenagers. I wrestled with the hand wrapped around my bicep and jerked free, taking a few steps back.

"Why y-you rabid little hussy," the girl said stumbling over her words with an angry fire flashing in her eyes, which were currently rounded like an anime character. Each passing moment her face splotched redder. "You were told I was coming, that we needed to meet with my Alpha." She paused, her arms lifting in a 'what-gives' gesture. "So you punch me in my boob as a greeting? What is the matter with you?"

"What?"

She clucked her tongue impatiently, ignoring the curly bouncing strand of hair that fell across her freckled forehead. "Great. I get a stupid one."

It took me a second to realize she was insulting me. I was still trying to catch up to who had told me she was coming. I'd been so surprised by the whole ordeal that my ears were ringing. My head may as well be spinning too, but I managed to shake clear of the distraction and recalled the scene that had occurred yesterday. Maggie had chosen vamp and I'd gone all animal. James, that sexy freak from the boutique who drank blood for fun, did tell me someone was coming, but not so early in the cracking morning!

"I wonder if I can return it." The she-devil continued to mumble under her breath while tapping her chin.

I scrunched my nose and scowled down at her. What a shrimp. "Hey!" I said, snapping my fingers in her face to get her to look at me before giving a wide sweeping gesture with my arm and pointing to my chest. "I'm not the one claiming to be an animal."