Chapter 08

My oxygen was depleted and my lungs were burning with every breath I managed. It was cold up here too. It was as if I was experiencing hot flashes, burning up one minute and cold the next. It felt like I was on top of the mountain instead of at the bottom of one, like the altitude had shifted completely. I shivered and puffed out a white cloud of hot air.

Hmm, maybe we were more at the top than I thought.

I scrubbed my hands over my dripping face and watched helplessly as Arden continued on the trail that seemed to never end, going straight up. I would be dead before I reached the top if I couldn't catch my breath. But I didn't want to be lost, so with a burst of energy, I scrambled after her, barely managing to bend forward and tug at her shirt, pleading with her through body language to stop.

"We're almost there," she said with a whine in her voice.

I held up two fingers. Two minutes. It was all I needed, just two minutes.

"The Fae are closer. If we don't run, we won't make it. Can't you feel it?" she asked, raising her hands in the air, palms up, like she was expecting rain, "the electricity in the air?"

Arden lifted her face towards the sky, her shoulders lifting with a deep sigh, before she dropped her gaze back to me. The worry line in her forehead disappeared and her eyes seemed to harden. They almost looked vacant.

"I'm obligated to fight for you," she said as she bent down to my level, making certain she held my gaze. "But I will not die for you. I'm strong, but I haven't gone through my transition yet. I can't beat a Fae. Do you understand?"

I'm not all together sure the shiver that shot through me this time was from the lowering temperature. It was the second time I almost believed that everything happening could be real. But that was ridiculous. Wasn't it? I could see the real fear in Arden's eyes though. Whatever it was, it was real to her. And just because it isn't real to me, doesn't mean it isn't for her. Maybe that's why she was doing this job, because it was the only one she could hold down.

"Okay, I'll do my best," I said, suddenly worried about Arden's mental state.

The idea of her staying with me for a week didn't seem too bad now. It was clear the girl needed my help. There was probably even a reason I had to meet her 'Alpha'. The list of her medications must be lengthy.

She gave a hiccupping laugh, her face transforming to showcase the relief she felt, and she nodded, turning to start the run once again. I licked my lips and nodded to myself. I would have to treat her like she was a patient and stop ragging on her. Goodbye Oompa, it would have to be Arden now.

Arden was right about them being almost there. Within five minutes the steep hill leveled off and a flat clearing of land came into view. Frost tipped twigs and brown leaves littered the ground and the path forked. One path continuing straight up and the other, slightly beaten down, led to the flat lands with grass that looked more like patches of moss glued together. Once we continued down the battered path that, thankfully, didn't go up hill, I noticed within minutes a set of moss covered stairs spiraling up towards a large gray stoned cottage. Had I already not been lacking oxygen, it would've taken my breath away.

"Simon!" Arden started yelling as she took the steps two at a time.

When I reached the top and saw the front door, I'd decided that was enough. My legs crumbled beneath me as I dropped to the ground and laid back, spread eagle, heaving. I closed my eyes and focused on the blood thumping through my neck.

"Simon, we're here." Arden hollered again. "Si-" She stopped mid-yell and the banging of the front door swinging open and knocking against the side of the wall seemed to bounce off the trees... trees that surprisingly did not have frost on them.