Chapter 16 - Professor Moony's tale

Dedicated to 07riya

Hermione stared at Black. What in the world was he talking about? Ron seemed to be thinking along the same lines

"You're both mental" he said
"Ridiculous!" said Hermione
"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry "He killed him twelve years ago!"
He pointed at Black
"I meant to" he snarled "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

Black launched himself at Scabbers. Ron screamed as Black weight fell onto his broken leg
"Sirius, NO!" Professor Lupin shouted, grabbing Black's arms and holding him back "WAIT! You can't do it just like that - they need to understand - we've got to explain-"
"We can explain afterwards!" growled Black, struggling against Professor Lupin
"They've - got - a - right - to - know - everything!" Professor Lupin said desperately "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry - you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

At Harry's name, Black stopped
"All right, then" he said quietly "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."
"You're nutters, both of you" said Ron, glancing at Hermione with a look that clearly said back me up, please "I've had enough of this. I'm off"
He tried to get up, but he froze when Professor Lupin raised his wand and pointed it at Scabbers
"You're going to hear me out, Ron" he said quietly "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen"
"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron shouted

Harry pushed Ron back onto the bed before turning to Professor Lupin
"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die" he said "A whole street full of them..."
"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black, not taking his eyes off the rat for a second
"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter" said Professor Lupin quietly "I believed it myself - until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Harry"

Hermione spoke, and was surprised to find that her voice was shaking
"But Professor Lupin... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't..."
"Why can't it be true?" said Professor Lupin calmly
"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework - the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list"

To Hermione's surprise, Professor Lupin laughed
"Right again, Hermione!" he said "But the Ministry never knew that there used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts"
"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus" growled Black "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer"
"All right... but you'll need to help me, Sirius" said Professor Lupin quietly "I only know how it began..."

Professor Lupin paused. The door had opened of its own accord. Professor Lupin looked out at the landing
"No one there..." he muttered
"This place is haunted!" said Ron
"It's not" said Professor Lupin "The Shrieking Shack was never haunted.... The screams and howls the villagers used to hear were made by me"

He sighed, paused again for a second and continued
"That's where all of this starts - with my becoming a werewolf, None of this could have happened if I hadn't been bitten... and if I hadn't been so foolhardy..."
Ron made to interrupt, but Hermione shushed him. This was obviously important!
"I as a very small boy when I received the bite. My parents tried everything, but in those days there was no cure. The potion that Professor Snape has been making for me is a very recent discovery. It makes me safe, you see. As long as I take it in the week, preceding the full moon, I keep my mind when I transform.... I'm able to curl up in my office, a harmless wolf, and wait for the moon to wane again"