Chapter 6

Chapter Six-Awakening

A/N: I have returned from the mysterious depths of the outer net. There was this horrible thing called responsibilities and school and I still have exams next week. So sorry for not updating, but no inspiration, and a buttload of homework does that to a person. Hope all my Alyssals forgive me...? :3

SIRIUS

Sirius Black had been beside Remus' hospital bed countless times, after every single full moon from second to seventh year. Here, in the past, was no different.

Except it was. Remus Lupin wasn't here because of a transformation from man to wolf. He was here because someone was monstrous enough to hurt him and Sirius had no doubt that if Tonks hadn't come, that someone would've killed him.

That hurt, badly, an achy panic in his chest at the thought of losing another best friend. They had simply been through too much to lose each other now.

At the same time, he was almost thankful that Remus was unconscious, thankful that he didn't see him panicking this way. Remus was supposed to be the rational one, the worrying one. He knew that Remus wouldn't appreciate Sirius' worrying about him. Remus had learned one thing at a very young age- where there was worry, there was shunning and pushing people away.

Still, Sirius couldn't help but sit there and worry. What else did one really do beside a hospital bed? His best friend was lying on that and his poor cousin, his dear second cousin Nymphadora, was terrified for him.

As soon as he thought of her, the door to the room swung open and in stepped Tonks, hair a dark black, eyes stormy, makeup smudged underneath her swollen eyes. He sighed as he took in her appearance. Without saying a word, he rose to comfort her, give her a hug, tell her he'd wake up soon, anything to remove the sadness from her features, but then a groan came from the bed and he forgot all about Tonks as his eyes swiveled to the man he'd called his best friend since he was eleven.

On the bed, Sirius' grey eyes bore into Remus' chocolate brown pair, and they cracked a smile. Sirius tried to hide his relief, then realized that it didn't matter, that Remus was okay!

Dora rushed over, heart thumping wildly, and seemed to jump Remus, but instead chose to lightly kiss his forehead and clutch his hand like her life depended on it. Sirius had to hide a chuckle at the surprised look and ensuing blush decorating Remus' face.

"Tonks? Sirius?"

"Yep. You're okay now, but the nurse told me not to let you.." He trailed off as he saw Remus struggle to sit up, and then fall back with a groan. "..do that."

Remus gave a dry chuckle. "Thanks Sirius."

He grinned. "No problem."

Tonks shook her head at the two of them, seeming to shake her stupor. "Remus, how are you feeling?"

He smiled softly up at her concerned face. "Well, I've been better, but I assure you, I've been far worse."

His smile unknowingly placed one on her face as well. "Oh, please don't tell me that! I've been so worried," she paused, looking down at him. "We can't lose the best of the infamous marauders," she added hastily.

Sirius scowled. "The best? Pfft, we all know that was me.." He was interrupted by footfalls in the hallway. It was the nurse, flanked by Hermione, Ron, and the twins.

"Professor!" Hermione cried, "you're awake!"

Remus' smile softened fondly. "That I am, Hermione, and I said you can call me Remus."

The healer nurse interrupted their conversation as she bustled over to his bedside. Turning to Sirius, she scolded, "you were supposed to tell me as soon as he woke up!"