Chapter 3

Chapter 3- A Day in 1976

TONKS

Tonks was anything but thrilled about sharing a room with Professor McGonagall. The older woman was too tidy, strict, and not to mention the fact she held a grudge against Tonks from her Hogwarts days and many a prank with Charlie Weasley.

Remus looked over at her and sighed, perhaps disappointed that he wouldn't be with her? Ridiculous.

"Well, if that's settled then, leave the youngsters with me so you can get some shut eye and we can plan their stories and character appearances to be students." Dumbledore suggested, the familiar twinkle back.

Remus nodded, and Sirius and Tonks followed suit. "Very well. Good luck, Fred, George. Hermione, Ron."

With that, he and Sirius were sent to a spare room under Gryffindor tower that apparently was an unused staff room. "Bye Tonks!" Remus called over his shoulder.

She waved and then waited as Dumbledore called McGonagall in and explained the entire ordeal. If there was one thing she hadn't noticed about the pair when in school was the way they trusted each other completely.

(AN: I know that JK said Dumbledore is gay but I don't honestly care because MMAD has been one of my OTPs for far too long. Also, she said she wanted to take back Romione, so I mean, come on. Everything she says can't be COMPLETELY accurate. Okay, sorry. Continue)

On the walk to Minerva's private chambers, Tonks tried to make some small talk. "So...how long have you known Dumbledore?"

Surprisingly, she laughed. "Oh, far too long now. Since I was in school, Tonks dear."

Tonks tried her hardest not to show her shock. She knew Dumbledore was up there in years, but McGonagall hardly looked the same age. "Oh.." she trailed off. What was she supposed to say to that?

McGonagall, seeming to sense her discomfort, simply said, "we're here."

As the pair turned in for the night, Tonks thought of Remus and Sirius in another room in the castle.

When Minerva started lightly snoring and the moonlight from the crescent shone in, Tonks knew it was going to be a long night with very little shut eye. Brilliant.

XxXxXxXxXx

At breakfast in the Great Hall, Tonks realized what she probably should've realized the night before. None of the students were here yet. It was just them and some of the staff. She recognized Pomfrey and Hooch and Sprout of course. Some of the teachers were unfamiliar to her.

As she sat there, she felt two figures come up behind her. Smiling a bit, she turned to greet them. "Watcher Remus, Sirius."

She received a soft smile from the lycanthrope that caused a flutter in her heart. Sirius on the other hand, turned to her and bluntly stated, "you look like hell, cous. What happened?"

She rolled her eyes. "You're brilliant at charming a girl, you know that? It may or may not have to do with the fact that I couldn't sleep."

Remus took a sharp intake of breath. "Tonks..." She shook her head.

"Remus, I was very aware of what I was agreeing to when I said I'd come. Although I'd have to say most of my insomnia had to with Minerva's snoring-"

"What's this about me?" interjected an immaculate as ever McGonagall.

They each had to stifle a chuckle. Sirius spoke up, "Tonks was just saying how kind you were to share your room with her."

"Hmm.." Minerva sniffed daintily, a smile threatening to spread onto her features. "I'm watching you, Black."

With that she pivoted and made her way gracefully to Dumbledore a bit further down the staff table. They erupted into laughter as soon as she had her back turned.

"What do we find-"

"-so funny?" came to familiar voices behind her, causing her to jump. What was it with everyone coming up behind her and startling her?

Remus smiled at the pair and the two behind them. "Ah, just a lovely run-in with the ever-strict McGonagall."

There was a good round of laughter at that as the kids took their seats.

Sirius leaned in with excitement. "So, what're your names now?"

Hermione giggled. "I'm Jane Austen, the twins are Zachary and Carter Wayland. And this idiot," she paused and gestured through a fit of laughter, "is Sir Ronaldo Wiggin Wayland."

Tonks erupted into laughter, shortly followed by the others. Ro-er, Sir Ronaldo turned beet root red.

"Hey. Dumbledore asked me and I panicked. I needed to sound sophisticated," he said defensively.

Sirius was gasping. "So you-find-Sir-Ronaldo-WIGGIN-Wayland--sophisticated?" Remus was bent over in stitches and Tonks was leaning against his shoulder, body wracked with laughter.

"Yes. You don't?" Ronaldo asked, sincerely puzzled.

Hermione-er, Jane, was on his shoulder, tears streaming from how hard she was laughing. The twins were chuckling too.

"What's so funny?" asked an amused Pomfrey. Remus looked up and smiled at her.

"Madame Pomfrey!" he said happily.

"Remus," she scolded, "I've told you a million times to call me Poppy."

Tonks smiled pleasantly beside him, collecting herself, unlike Sirius who was banging his fist on the table and cackling into the tabletop.

"Hello, Poppy." she greeted.

Poppy looked puzzled. "Do...I know you?"

Right. She didn't know her in this time. "I'm Tonks, Nymphadora Tonks, and let's just say you've fixed me up from many a fall in my time."

Pomfrey and Remus chuckled. "Well, nice to meet you dear. I see you know Remus well then?" She looked at the pair and smiled with a wink.

Tonks looked down and saw her hand still on Remus' shoulder and felt a rush of heat color her cheeks. She pulled away hurriedly while Remus answered.

"No, I mean, yes but we're, erm just friends." Sadly. Wait. What?

Pomfrey just smiled.

"Dumbledore told me all about what's going on. So, Jane, and Tonks," she turned with a smile to Hermione and Tonks, "would you like to accompany me today as I tell you the plans? Remus, Sirius, you're free to join me as well. As for erm, Zachary and Carter, you two need to see McGonagall and Dumbledore about a mission."

The group collectively nodded, and bidding Fred, George, and the breakfast goodbye (in Sirius' case), they followed Poppy to the infirmary.

Remus walked right beside Tonks with Sirius on the other side. She linked her arms through theirs and she felt a carelessness that she hadn't in years. Hogwarts really was magic.

AN: Hey whaddaya think? I feel like this is really long lol. If you got my mini Mortal Instruments reference ily. K comment and vote please!

-Alyssa xx