Chapter Twenty-Nine

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The past two weeks have only proven to me how small I am compared to the unfathomable amount of fans that have flocked to the boys and I since we released our single.

I have been tagged in posts, edits, videos, photos, songs, fan art, and so much more non-stop since that night. I've spent every day since then overwhelmed with pure disbelief at the constant praise and support that is sent to me. I want to spend every second of every day keeping in touch with the fans, but that is not possible because tour's coming up.

The boys and I have been working every day for the past two weeks for hours at a time preparing. We have to figure out the choreography, standing positions, parts where I'll come in, formation changes, and so much more in the small amount of time we have on our hands before the first show in New York on October first.

Daniel and I are closer now than ever, physically and emotionally.

Physically, we're not afraid to wrap our arms around each other's shoulders when we're standing next to each other, sit close on the couch, or give each other tight hugs before bed. The stage of awkwardness I used to feel between us has been torn down completely and now, I am entirely comfortable with him in any situation.

Emotionally, I have never loved him more. His words - how do I tell you? - ring through my head every time I look at him, but I shut it out because no matter how much I care for him, I still shy away.

This morning, I woke up and decided that I wanted to use my camera and take some pictures of Los Angeles. I went to a coffee shop before I started roaming the streets of the city, capturing moments of beautiful chaos.

"Excuse me," a sweet voice says to my right, "are you Kai Merta?"

I turn away from pointing my lens into the cute flower shop in front of me to look at the girl who appears to be just a little younger than me. She and the girl beside her are practically gaping with excitement.

"Yes," I say with a smile, "I am."

I walk away from them several minutes later beaming.

I pull out my phone to call Daniel and ask him how he reacted the first time someone recognized him while he was out in public, but am pleasantly surprised to be interrupted by his contact name popping up on my screen.

Wow, perfect timing.

"Hey, Daniel! You're not going to believe what just-"

"Kai?"

"What?" I say, wondering why he interrupted me, since he never does.

"I need you to come home right now."

"What? Why?"

"Someone very important is here to see you," he says.

Before I can ask any more questions, he hangs up.

***

I park in front of the house and take a moment to lean back against the seat and take a deep breath.

Who is waiting for me inside? Blaire? All of the Porters? Anna? Keri?

I get out of the car in a rush and walk quickly up to the front door. Just as I reach it, I freeze in my tracks as a new, foreign idea forms in my mind.

What if it's... mom?

No, don't be stupid. She has no reason to be here. She wouldn't come all the way across the country for you.