Chapter 11

Ezaras awaited Jaska in his office, pondering what he should tell Ooran when he came later at dawn. While on his way to a banquet last night he had met with Ooran but told him nothing, even though his palymfar informant had offered a substantial reward for news of Bavadi.

Ooran's words still haunted Ezaras: "If you see Master Bavadi, don't trust him. He's a traitor."

But Ezaras had to trust Bavadi. He didn't dare oppose the Slayer or risk palymfar fighting within his home. As his wine cup touched his lips, Ezaras knew what he must tell Ooran--that Bavadi had left here after compelling him to obedience. Ooran wouldn't detect any lies because his story would be true. Bavadi had compelled him in those first moments.

Bavadi slid inside so quietly that Ezaras didn't hear him until he cleared his throat. Ezaras flinched and spilled wine onto himself. He spun his chair around and his heart pounded as the Slayer loomed over him with his mask on. Except for those hellish eyes, he could have been any other palymfar.

"You summoned me?"

Bavadi terrified Ezaras more than when he had stayed here before because Ezaras no longer understood the man. He lacked wanton cruelty and lust, and he refused every entertainment offered.

"I-I hope I haven't awakened you too early, Lord Bavadi."

"I was up already. What do you want?"

"I have finished arranging what you asked of me." Ezaras handed Bavadi a stack of stamped documents. "These are the ownership papers for the Spindrift Cloud and the orders of command for her crew and a squad of fifty mercenary marines. I have already paid the first third of their wages and these papers provide for their payment upon arrival to Issaly."

"What if I need to stop at another port instead..."

"The payment notices should be valid with any major mercantile operation in Pawan Kor, but you are guaranteed of the money in Issaly."

"The ship is fully equipped with all the supplies needed?"

"Yes, my lord."

"And everything awaits me at this moment?"

"The ship needs only her commander. You'll find her captain trustworthy and competent."

"The rowers are free men?"

"I wouldn't delay you with a crew of slaves."

Bavadi seemed reflective. Ezaras didn't wish to interrupt him, but he did want the man to be on his way before Ooran arrived. At last Bavadi said, "Summon your two best couriers."

Shaking under the Slayer's now intense gaze, Ezaras rang his bell and sent Telerus downstairs to wake the courier boys. Easily roused, for they had no other duty in life, the two youths arrived within minutes. The first, Jaska sent off with a message he had already written, to be delivered to a house in the military quarter. The boy swore he could find it easily enough.

"Wait outside," Jaska told the second. "You too, Captain Telerus. Don't come back in unless I ask you to."

Ezaras was horrified as Telerus bowed low and said, "As you command, my lord."

Ezaras rose and spoke in anger, though he would instantly regret doing so. "How dare you compel my guard captain! Telerus, get back in here!" Ezaras rang the bell but the man didn't return.

Jaska drew a bagh nakh. "How dare you live, Ezaras. How dare you prey upon the innocent and betray your city to the palymfar. Your current rulers are far more merciful than Salahn would be."

Ezaras fell into his chair, a dead man already. He knew it without doubt. "You're a traitor to the palymfar."

"No, I am a true palymfar. Your allies are the traitors." Jaska rounded the desk. "Don't even try to draw your dagger. Take out your quill instead. You are going to write a letter for me."