Monday: July 16, 2012

{Monday: July 16, 2012}

Sitting in her small coach ticket airplane window seat looking down at the Vegas strip lights fading from the increased altitude Marin couldn’t escape the horrible feeling she has forgotten something really important.

Did I pack my shoes from the hotel closet?…. Yeah, I remember seeing them. Did I get my credit card from the bartender at Pure? ……   Uhhh, yep, I remember leaning on Cliff’s arm in those painful heels while trying to shove my card and receipt in my tiny purse….. What the hell? I know I’m forgetting something important…. Whatever, I’ll just text Cliff on his cell and ask him to go back to the Bellagio and see if they’ll let him do a walkthrough of my suite.

Grabbing her purse she got out her cell phone making sure it was on airplane mode. Confirming it was, she began typing out a text that she would send to Cliff when she landed later for her layover in Atlanta so she wouldn’t forget in her exhausted state by then. After typing out her question she went into her contacts to link the text to Cliff, only to realize what they were both too rushed to realize all night……. Oh Shit! I don’t have his number! I don’t even know his last name?... How could I have forgotten something so freaking crucial to us staying in contact. Stupid Marin…. Stupid Stupid Stupid…I guess I can call his work after I’m home and get a message to him….

I bet Cliff’s gonna freak when he realizes he doesn’t have my number either. She started laughing in her seat until the guy that smelled of straight Gin beside her gave her the “look” and she quieted down. Throughout the entire journey back home, Marin napped little because her brain wouldn’t stop thinking about Cliff.

 Wait a minute! That’s it.. she thought as tears once again started streaming down her face making the GIN guy beside her look at her in disgust when she grabbed a tissue from her purse to wipe her nose and eyes. Closing her eyes as the tears continued to fall Marin began to wonder leaning her head against the window… Cliff must’ve known. He suggested they keep in contact because he knew I was rushed and just agreeing as I frantically packed my bags. He had to have known that he didn’t ask for my number or me for his. He was letting me down gently by allowing us to play out my ‘Damsel in distress getting rescued by the knight and they live happily ever after… blah blah blah…’ fantasy I had practically begged him for Friday night. He probably thought I was just playing along too since I requested it in the first place. That way there would never be a reason for an awkward moment because we wouldn’t be seeing each other again anyway. It’s not like we’d bump into each other at Wanda’s Diner one day and he’d feel guilty for sleeping with me then never calling again thus ruining my fantasy. I mean… we both are adults. After all, I made it clear I expected nothing and knew the rules to the game. Marin….. How can you be so blind?

Cliff was an angel of mercy who swooped in and gave you the ride of your boring life. His responsibility as your Knight ended the minute you walked into the airport. He’s already forgetting you and thinking about the next fantasy he gets to play a part in from the mind of another lonely woman in Vegas. How could I have let myself believe for even a moment that it was real? For fuck’s sake… he even called nicknamed me Damsel. Pretty freaking telling!!! You knew from the start it was a mismatch… COME ON idiot… you said it yourself… Look at him, Look at me….

As much as Marin was wanting too she couldn’t blame Cliff for anything.  Oh Cliff, I will miss you terribly. You saved something in me that was broken. You fulfilled my every raw sexual fantasy and made me -in that moment- believe you truly wanted ME, plain ole me. You did everything I begged of you, and then some, exceeding every thought I ever had about sex and even romance for that matter. You showed me what the fucking hype WAS all about. Damn, are you a good performer.. and actor for that matter… you played your role to perfection. Oscar Worthy Even!!   I will never forget you! Thank you ….. hell… I love you… and that’s what makes me stupid!No one finds love in four days.. except for in the freaking movies.  Belinda will laugh when she finds out I fell for the first guy who told me I was pretty and then gave me multiple orgasms in bed. She’ll go all Dr. Freud on me about how that’s perfectly natural… etc…etc…etc….