Chapter 29

“Are ye’ mad, miss? Get off the deck now, an' come inside!” Pearl screeched, gesturing crazily from the sliver of shelter that she occupied.

The maelstrom stirring the sea, which Evanora had recently set eyes upon for the very first time, was almost beneath their feet. Gurgling and choking like a cavernous mouth, the sight had left her standing rigid to watch its approach. Kade was helping those who worked the sails, cursing his own stupidity in failing to mend the loose boom on the night of the storm. And the rest of the crew were muttering prayers from beneath half-closed eyelids, begging for mercy as the Heavens threw down bucketfuls of rain.

Hands clamped around Evanora’s wrists and she cried out in terror, thrashing like the sails. It was only when she turned to see her captor’s face that she relaxed into his hold.

“Shen!” she gasped through her sobs. Shen pulled her into a desperate embrace as she spluttered, “What are we going to do?”

“We’re going to die!” wailed Grimme, “Every single one of us! We’re all going to die!”

Shen rolled his eyes and held her tighter, beginning the treacherous trek towards the passage where Pearl waited. “Well, we’re not going to listen to him, for one thing. Let’s just get you to Pearl and take it from there, alright?”

With her head smothered by his shirt, Evanora nodded.

Before she could form further words, the onslaught of rain no longer pounded her head. Shivering violently, she opened her eyes. Under the shelter was a collection of other eyes, all equally as wide and frightened as her own, blinking back as the pirates retreated into cowardice. Outside, fog rolled in.

Shen’s grip loosened. A dreadful realisation set in; he was going to let her go.

Unable to lose him to the mists, Evanora clung tighter to his shirt, balling it within her fists as if the very action of releasing it would tear her apart.

“Evanora, you have to let me go.” Shen cautioned. His attention was already focused on the activity beyond the shelter. Prying her fingertips softly away from his skin, from the fabric of his shirt, he pressed her back into the wall of people. “Stay here, stay safe.”

Evanora shook her shoulders free, unsheathing her sword. “No, Shen. If you go back outside, I’m coming with you.”

In spite of her brave display, Shen barely heard the words she spoke. The lash of the loose boom was dangerous and unpredictable, especially in such conditions, and the men left behind would be failing without him. He took a step towards the threshold, but Evanora mimicked his action resolutely.

“Look, Evanora. You don’t have to be brave for me. Stay here, please, or you’ll just get yourself hurt. I don't want your life on my conscience or the First Mate after my head.” For the first time that morning, a touch of annoyance crept into Shen’s posture and Evanora fell back.

Though annoyed by his distrust in her skill, she knew he was only being protective. Pearl stepped up to restrain her from following, but her mouth remained free.

“Don’t die.” she whispered, unable to do more. “And keep him safe.”

Shen’s anger diluted as her fragile words wound warmth around his heart. Bowing his head in a gesture of acceptance, he promised, “I will” and then vanished through the cloak of grey air.

For a moment, silence reigned.

Then, from out of nowhere, the silhouette of the broken boom appeared before them, approaching like a shadowy minion of death. It came crashing into the crew’s quarters, raining splinters. Amidst the screams of terror, Pearl’s observation turned Evanora’s blood to scarlet ice.