Chapter 14

“Why aren’t you out there stopping the mutiny?” Evanora asked in desperation.

“I think the Captain can handle a few troublesome crew members alone, don’t you?” Kade replied. “Besides, if I was out there, who would take care of a traitor like you?”

“What do you want? What are you going to do with me?” she whispered, unable to stop the trembling in her voice.

Kade, who had been busying himself loading a deadly-looking pistol at the other side of the room, placed it back on the bedside and walked closer to Evanora until there was little more than a breath between them.

“Tell me,” he said, his eyes flashing, “are you afraid of my answer to that?”

Evanora stared defiantly into his eyes and didn’t allow him the satisfaction of a reply. However, the slight blush that coloured her cheeks gave her true feelings away and Kade caught on with a smirk.

“You’re blushing.”

“And you’re just a master of stating the obvious.”

Evanora shuddered as more gunshots echoed from outside. The door creaked and the ship lurched sickeningly. She felt caged and withdrawn. The clash of her sword should have been part of the riot, but instead she was a pirate’s prisoner.

“Let me go!” she demanded.

Kade lifted a hand, dangling the handcuff keys. The smooth, metallic surfaces caught the light of the lantern and reflected in the green of his eyes. Just out of reach.

“Never,” he whispered dramatically.

He lifted a taunting hand to run fingers down her face, but Evanora pressed herself back against the wall. Heart thudding, she slammed her eyelids closed. This man was her captor. A murderous pirate. Above all, she would not let herself forget that.

Kade’s heat warmed her skin, his hands claiming the wall beside her head. Any closer and he could run them through her hair.

“You have part of the map on your hand.” she said quickly.

“Who’s stating the obvious now?” he retorted.

“Answer me.”

“How can I answer you if there was no question in the first place?”

Evanora growled in frustration. Her wrists were sore from the chafing of the handcuffs, which was probably a good thing since, if they were free, she might have tried to strangle Kade Skyler by now.

“How about this: why do you have a tattoo of part of the map to Atlantis?”

Kade’s hands fell to her waist, spinning her around in one swift motion so that she faced the wall. Evanora, powerless against him, struggled to kick out her legs without putting too much pressure on her wrists. Kade held her still, his body pressed tightly against hers, his lips at her ear once more.

“I could ask you the same thing, Treasure.”

With that, he slowly lifted the back of the shirt she was wearing. The wounds of her tattoo prevented any undergarments, so she was grateful that she wore a baggy shirt about five sizes too large. It was one of Eric’s from his previous days of obesity. Nevertheless, she still felt exposed.

Her cheeks darkened once more, although Kade took the care to make sure that only the back of the top was lifted.

There was a momentary silence as he took in the sight.

“Must have hurt like a bitch.” he said eventually through gritted teeth, staring at the ink-stained mess.

“You have no idea.”