Chapter 17

Evanora wasn’t sure if she held her breath as Kade closed the door behind them because she was afraid of his anger or the intensity of emotion that he brought to light. Either way, it was dangerous.

He turned to her slowly, and her heart rattled against her chest as if it were held prisoner. His burning eyes bored heavily into hers. She knew how to act in a confrontation, but not one in which the opponent could hold her so forcefully with his stare alone.

“Evanora…” he began.

The way he said her name made her suppress a shudder. It was drawn out and full of impact, as if he were tasting every syllable on his tongue. The way you imagine a lover’s whisper to sound.

She could feel her resolve weakening, so she spoke rapidly.

“I know.” she finished for him. “I shouldn’t have allowed Shen to stay.”

“No, you shouldn’t.” his tone was blunt, frustrated.

“Well, let me ask you a question.”

Kade sat down stiffly on the edge of the bed in the corner of the room, bracing himself for the worst with one hand clenched on the bedhead, knuckles white from the strain.

“Go ahead.” he replied.

“What really made you stand in the face of death for me?”

Out of all the questions she could have asked, this was the one she chose? Kade was dumbfounded, staring at the most beautiful yet most tormenting being that he had ever encountered. She tossed her long black hair over one shoulder, tapping her foot on the wooden floor, and all he wanted was to fold her in his arms and silence her with a kiss. But deep down he knew that she was far too stubborn to give up her fight for the truth.

“I suppose it was because if I’m going to die, I want my death to be remembered.” he finally answered.

“Why?”

Kade sighed again. “Evanora, can you not just accept that I saved your life - again - and be done with it?”

“Not a chance. Answer me.” she demanded.

Initially, Kade took that comment as a little too authoritative for his liking. Being ordered around by a woman was against his standing as a pirate and it unsettled his dormant anger. But then Evanora walked across the room and sat beside him on the bed, laying a hand over his and looking up into his eyes with her own obstinate brown orbs.

He couldn’t believe that he was about to tell her this, but the girl had a way of forcing him to open up like a clam.

“My brother…” he began, clearing his throat when he sensed his voice beginning to break, “was the best fighter I’ve ever known. A pirate, of course, but a free one. He fought for what he wanted, and he would have given his life for any member of his crew in a heartbeat.”

“Go on...” Evanora pressed, secretly delighted at Kade’s vulnerable side; one her own brother had been convinced that pirates did not possess.

“He always told me that the best way to die would be a hero’s death, something that would be remembered long after you’d gone. Then, in some small way, you would always be immortal.”

“That’s beautiful.” she breathed.

“Really, Evanora?” Kade scowled, grimacing as his cheeks flamed red. “Don’t ever call a pirate beautiful, or there’ll be consequences.”

"Sorry.” she said, a responding snigger on her lips. “Carry on.”

Kade’s expression clouded over, his mood changing direction. “There’s not much more to say.” he murmured. “Apart from that he never got his hero’s death. He was lost at sea three years ago, forgotten by almost everyone- even the crewmates he fought so hard for.”