Chapter 2/ Demons and Princesses

Sunday was supposed to be the day to relax after a long week, except that Marco busied himself making a big breakfast. The clashing sound of pots and pans in the kitchen woke both of his parents up. They walked in on Marco flipping pancakes in his chefs hat and apron.

Angie rubbed her eyes and yawned,
"Marco, what're you doing? It's 6 in the morning."

"I'm making Star breakfast. You guys want some?" Marco offered.

"No thanks. That's really nice of you, son," Raphael said and turned on the tv.

Marco stacked the finished pancakes and started buttering them up. He poured sticky, sweet syrup on top, watching the thick substance run down onto the plate. On another plate, he put a serving of salted scrambled eggs, two sausage links, and a few crunchy bacon strips. He added a cup of orange juice and threw some sugar packets on the side before placing everything on the tray. He knew Star loved to sugar most of her foods. Marco took a quick breather and took off his chefs hat. He carried the breakfast tray carefully to Stars room.

-

Star woke up to the scent of sizzling bacon. She sat up and forced a smile to a good morning. She let out a yawn and stretched her arms, feeling refreshed. That was the first time she was able to have a good night sleep. After her stretch, she heard light knocking on the door and a familiar voice call for her name. She felt her heart sink and wanted to let Marco in, but at the same time, she wanted to get away from him. Star didn't have time to answer for Marco let himself in. She saw him with a breakfast tray and he walked to her bed.

"I made you some breakfast," Marco sounded nervous.

Star's mouth began to water and she was digging in those fluffy, buttermilk pancakes.

"Thanks Marco," Star said with her mouth full.

"Yeah," his voiced trailed off. "I'm sorry, Star."

Star looked at Marco's sad eyes and stopped eating. She swallowed and turned her head like a dumb puppy. Those words made her stomach turn and she was completely speechless.

"It wasn't fair of me to leave you hanging by yourself. I was a selfish friend and you're the last person I'd want to upset. Do you forgive me?" Marco couldn't face Star, he was too ashamed.

Star placed the tray by her side and attacked Marco with a monster hug. Her arms wrapped around his neck and she rested her chin on his shoulder. Marco hugged her back tighter and relieved.

"You're my best friend, Marco Diaz. Of course I forgive you," Star reassured him.

The two friends pulled away from the embrace, but their arms still held tightly on each other. They looked at their linked arms and gazed upon each others eyes. Marco never noticed before, but he found Star's eyes a sparkling blue and he felt relaxed. He didn't seem to notice her cheeks blush slightly pink. Marco realized he had almost lost Star, his best friend, and he couldn't imagine a life without her.

Star quickly folded her arms and turned away from Marco. He shook his head and it was his turn to blush.

"Well, I'm going to go. I hope you enjoy your breakfast," Marco said before leaving Star's room.

His stomach queased as he walked out and he found himself slightly sweating, even more when he was making Star breakfast. Marco shook out the feeling and went inside his room to finish homework.

Star soon finished her breakfast and she was completely stuffed. She took the breakfast tray downstairs and was greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Diaz.

"Star, honey, the royal carriage is waiting for you outside. There's an important meeting in your castle and your mom wants you to show up as soon as possible," Angie reported.

Star gave Mrs. Diaz a confused look and she peeked through their blinds. Angie took care of the tray while Star went outside. She was greeted with a royal, red carapet rug and an ear drumming trumpet melody. There was a line of royal hunchmen dressed in the Butterfly uniform standing tall and proud. Marco rushed downstairs to see what all the noise was coming from.

"What's going on?" He asked Star as he studied the men in blue uniform.

"I'll be back. My mom wants me to go to a meeting and it must be important," Star told Marco.

"I'll go with you."

"It's fine, it will only take a few minutes."

Marco was hesitant, but he knew he couldn't stop Star. She was too peristent with her decisions and he knows he can handle herself on her own. Star was already hopping in the royal carriage and she slid the door closed. Through the window, Star gave Marco a wave goodbye and a warm smile. Marco forced a smile, but he was feeling uneasy. As he saw Star disappear into the dimension worm hole, his heart ached and convinced himself she was never coming back.

-

Star entered the conference room and saw the High Commission and her parents seated at the ends of the table. Tom and Mrs. Lucitor, who was dressed in her usual red, laced gown was seated together.

"Tom?" Star sounded more confused than ever.

"Star! Have a seat, dear," River greeted his daughter.

Star took the only seat available on the table, the seat next to the right of Tom. She was slightly uncomfortable, but Tom seemed to ignore her as well.

"Well, let's get this meeting started, shall we?" Moon cleared her throat.

"May I ask what this meeting is about?" Star questioned.

"It has been agreed upon the Kingdom of Mewni and the Underworld to establish a peace treaty-" Moon was soon interrupted.

"Oh, pft, is this what all this is about?" Star mumbled to herself.

"Under the names of Tom Lucitor and Star Butterfly who will later establish the treaty after being betrothed," the Queen finished.

"WHAT?" Star jumped. "An arranged marriage??"

The meeting room grew silent as everyones eyes laid on Star. The princess eyed everyone. Anger was building up and her face began turning red. She couldn't pay attention to any of their judgemental expressions. The thought of an arranged marriage at such a young age, especially with her demon ex-boyfriend was making her head ache. Tom didn't want to look at Star and so he let his eyes wander else where.

-

Star kept her silence for the rest of the meeting. After it was over, she was the first one to storm out and walk off. Moon called her daughter's name several times before picking up her long gown and chasing after her. The princess was already outside of the castle, rushing to get back inside the carriage.

"Star!" Moon's angry voice called once more.

Star turned to her mother and it was clear that she was irate. Her fists clenched and her lips quivered, wanting to shout something back at her mother.

"I'm sorry we didn't tell you sooner, but the Underworld has a powerful Kingdom. Your father, the High Commision and I thought if something were to go wrong with our world, they'll be there to fight by our side," Moon tried explaining.

"What? You couldn't just sign the stupid treaty and call it a day?" Star threw her hands up in rage.

Tom and his mother walked out of the castle. Mrs. Lucitor hopped inside their carriage, but Tom stopped and glanced at Star. She caught him staring and relaxed when she saw Tom frown. Tom's mother had called her son over and the demon boy made his way inside the carriage with his head down.

"That's not how it works, Star. Of course they wanted something in return. Trust me, your father and I was expecting gold and jewels, but they wanted an arranged marriage. I don't like the idea, but we're doing this to protect our Kingdom, and especially for you."

Star nodded and turned to run back inside the carriage. She couldn't believe her mother and that stupid meeting. She couldn't believe anything, Star was just so angry.

"You're doing this to gain more power," Star screamed before slamming the carriage door shut.

TO BE CONTINUED