Chapter 1/ Family Dinner

Star was lying down on her bed as she stared blankly at the ceiling. Marco has been on her mind all day and she couldn't find anything to distract herself at the thought of him. Ever since Marco and Jackie started dating, she felt nothing but neglect and sometimes envy. Her best friend rarely had enough time for her and it almost seemed as if the two of them were strangers.

The doorbell rang which interrupted Star's thoughts. She propped herself up with her elbow and heard footsteps from the other side. Her door opened and Janna walked in with her muddy boots and a family sized bag of potato chips.

"Hey Star," Janna greeted with her mouth full.

Star mumbled a "hello" and lied back down. Janna furrowed her eyebrows and hopped on the edge of Star's bed. She picked up Star's gloomy mood a few days ago and noticed she wasn't as upbeat and vivacious as she used to be. Janna knew Marco was upsetting her since she hasn't seen the two best friends together ever since Jackie's been a part of his life. Ever since their relationship, Janna's been spending a lot of time with Star and trying to cheer her up.

"Do you want to do something? Let's hit the graveyard and do another seance!" Janna suggested, trying to sound excited.

"I think I'm just going to stay here and just chill," Star groaned.

Star flipped herself like a pancake onto her stomach and let her head fall on a soft pillow. Janna brought herself closer to her friend and gently placed her hand on Star's shoulder.

"I know you're upset about this whole Marco/Jackie thing. But this shouldn't stop you from having some fun," Janna said.

"I'm fine, Janna," Star lied, her voice muffled into the pillow.

Janna knew she was lying, but decided to leave her friend alone. She didn't want to bother Star too much because she knows she'll break down in tears. Janna lied on Star's bed and stared at the ceiling in silence, worried for her friend.

-

Echo Creek's local Taco Shop was always busy between the hours of 4 to 5 on weekends. It was their happy hour and the best time for Marco and Jackie to have an early dinner together. The couple sat outside of the shop and enjoyed the cool evening. There was a light breeze that evening and the sun was just beginning to set. A perfect blend of pastel orange and pink filled the sky and the stars were beginning to appear.

Marco was happy with his relationship with Jackie. They've been spending a lot of time together and drew an even closer bond. He never thought a dork like him could end up with someone as stunning as Jackie Lynn Thomas. Like Marco, Jackie was also enjoying her time with him and is happy with their relationship.

As the couple finished their dinner, more and more people came rushing in the taco shop. The place was almost filled and there was barely enough tables to sit and eat. Marco got up from his chair and threw his trash away before escorting Jackie out of the shop. They walked off together hand in hand and it was time for them to go home.

"Thanks for dinner, Marco," Jackie smiled and kissed her boyfriend on the cheek.

Marco smiled back and replied, "No problem."

"I've got to go. I'll call you later," Jackie reassured him.

Jackie whipped out her skateboard and began riding off the opposite direction of Marco. She gave a final wave goodbye and disappeared downhill. Marco sighed and walked back home. He couldn't wait to tell Star about his date that night.

-

"Janna, would you like to join us for dinner tonight?" Mrs. Diaz asked politely as she stirred a bowl of chili.

"Would I!?" Janna replied excitedly and sat herself at the dinner table next to Star.

Star's eyes were drooping from restless sleep and she had to prop up her arm to keep her head up. She yawned and Janna turned to her with worried eyes. Raphael sat on the left end of the table and noticed Star's tiredness.

"Star, are you okay? You seem a little bit off," Raphael furrowed his eyebrows.

Star's tired eyes fixed upon Raphael,"Hmm? Oh yeah. Just a little tired, that's all."

"Well," Angie began as she brought the hot chili pot to the table. "After dinner, you should get yourself ready for bed and get some sleep."

"That's probably a good idea," Star yawned again.

The clicking sound of a key turning was heard all the way from the kitchen. Janna and Star's head propped up, knowing exactly who was entering. Everyone heard the door open and close back again. Star kept her eyes at the doorway and Marco entered the kitchen with a smile. His parents smiled and greeted him as began rumiging in the fridge.

"Hey Marco. Do you want some chili for dinner?" Mrs. Diaz offered as she poured chili into everyones bowl.

"No thanks. I already had dinner," Marco kindly declined, reaching for a juice box.

Marco made his way to the kitchen table and sat across from Star. As he sat down, Star focused on her chili and began to eat little by little. As for Janna, she was already devouring her food. Marco noticed Star's messy appearance and began to feel concerned.

"Feeling alright, Star?" Marco asked.

Star sighed and took a glance at Marco. No, she was not alright. It's obvious she wasn't, but she wanted to tell everyone how she really felt. Instead, she played it off and nodded. Janna stopped eating and looked at Star and back at Marco. He noticed Janna's stare was also a little bit off to him, but tried to ignore it.

The boy cleared his throat, "You won't believe what Jackie told me today!"

Star rolled her eyes, but hid her petty gesture in front of everyone. Everyone except Janna.

"Um, maybe we should talk about something else," Janna budded in and played it off by pouring in more chili in her bowl.

"Great. Let's start off with Star acting weird," Marco suggested. He sounded a little angry, but he wanted to know what was going on with his best friend.

"Chill out, dude," Janna told him off.

"Leave Star alone, son. She just needs some sleep," Raphael told Marco.

Marco didn't believe his father and gave Star a look of doubt, "You sure?"

"Yeah," Star mumbled. She ate the last of her chili and stacked it onto a pile of dirty dishes. "Thanks for dinner, Mrs. Diaz."

When Star walked out of the kitchen, she ran straight into her room. Marco heard her door shut and turned to face Janna.

"What really is going on with her?" Marco asked again, specifically to Janna.

"Ask her," she replied.

"I did and she lied straight to my face."

"Why do you think she did that?"

Marco thought for a minute and realized how much time he's been spending with Jackie, he forgot all about his best friend. They're probably not even best friends anymore because of him. His face went numb as everyone at the dinner table stared at him.

TO BE CONTINUED