2.3 - Nathan

Daniel Hynoo as Nathan Cullen

Shock.

Is the emotion written all over my face. Caleb likes me? As in like, likes me? I know somewhere deep within I like him too but I can't commit until my mind is clear, until I know who I really am.

"Caleb... I...." I took a deep breath and took his warm hands in mine. I know this will probably hurt him but it's better then hurting him by being in relation where I won't be as committed as I should be.

"Caleb I like you too. I really do but I don't even know who I was when I met you, and I want to find that out" I said and looked into his eyes showing him the truth behind my every word. "I can't grow until I know where are my roots from. I hope you understand" I said and looked down at the floor. I couldn't see the hurt in his eyes, not when I started to care about him.

He cupped my cheeks and lifted my face up, meeting his warm brown eyes. "I understand and I'm ready to wait. I've waited for 6 years, a little more won't harm" he lifted his one shoulder in a shrug and chuckled. I chuckled too and hugged him to which he responsed by wrapping his arms around me.

"Thankyou, for understanding" I mumbled against his chest.

"Always" he said and rested his chin on my head.

"Go to rest. You must be tired" he said and broke the hug. I smiled and nodded as a yawn escaped my lips.

"I'll take the room next to the kids you can go and sleep in yours. Goodnight Saph" he smiled at me and walked towards the room he will be crashing in. "Goodnight Caleb" I mumbled into the thin air.

I turned around and walked in my room. I was too tired to have a shower so I changed into some sweatpants and a tanktop and jumped on my bed. Pulling the covers over my head I was off like a light.

~~~~~~

"Morning Sapphire" Judy greeted me as I entered my second home.

"Morning Judy" I smiled at her widely and made my way in the back of the kitchen. "What's baking today?" Chet, one of our chefs asked with the same glint of amusement in his eyes that he held everyday. He is in his mid - fifties with silver hair and grey eyes. He looks younger though and mind if I say handsome.

"Kids want some brownies." I shook my head at their demands and me being the weak hearted mom, gave into their puppy eyes and that traitor little pout.

Chet laughed at me while I glared playfully at him.

"This kids will be the death of me" I mumbled under my breath and started making some brownies for my munchkins. I was thankful for Judy, because of whom I can bake in here for as much as I want to. Anyway I never understood how to run this cafe. I just bake stuffs and people usually like them, all the other stuff is handled by Judy or Caleb.

I quickly made some delicious chocolate brownies and left them to bake. I took out my apron and breathed a long sigh.

"Finally got done with those" I mumbled and smiled at Chet. I was about to exit the kitchen when Judy came in with a worried look on her face. Don't get me wrong but I didn't bother to ask her what's the problem because that woman can even worry about a leaf falling from a tree but I stopped as she called out my name.

"Yes?" I asked and met her halfway. "There's this kid. He's been sitting here for past two hours, alone and he just had a glass of milk" she answered.

Now that was something to be worried about. "Alone? For two hours?" I asked with a confused and worried frown. Judy nodded.

I pulled my hair in a ponytail and secured it with a hairtie and walked out of the door, looking around the cafe, my cafe. Almost all the tables were occupied with some people drinking their coffee and just killing the time, while some people enjoyed their time alone in the cafe and among them, the small child in his hoodie almost couldn't be noticed. He looked like a Korean kid with dark blue hoodie and silently read a book that rested on the table with his elbows propped over it and chin resting on his hand. There was an empty glass of milk by his side and he was all alone. It broke my heart seeing him all alone. Before I could even stop myself, my feet were already headed in his direction. I stood by his table while fidgeting with my fingers. Though I'm a mom of two kids I still feel nervous around kids. They are fragile and naive. Who knows what might offend them and they start to hate you.

His eyes rested on my legs but never looked at my eyes, infact they went back on the book of his. I sighed and finally spoke "Is this seat taken?" I asked pointing towards the empty chair in front of him. He finally looked at my face and then at the seat across from him which was empty. The kid looked back at me and shrugged, going back to his book. I plopped myself in the seat and rested my hands on the table. I looked out of the glass wall and almost smiled at the calm scenery.

"What's your name?" I asked with a kind, friendly voice. The boy's eyes shifted from the book and on my hands, but he never answered. I sighed again, inaudibly. I peeked into his book and was shocked to see him read 'The Tales of Venus'

It's a story of a beautiful girl named Venus who gets married to a guy named Christopher but his soul was taken by the gods and the story is about how she does everything in her power to bring back her husband back to life but like it's said to have something you must also give something. Christopher came back to life but as a small baby and Venus watched him grow up and get married and have kids with a girl he fell in love and she died of old age without having her love in her life but she had him in every moment of her life. The story was beautiful but I didn't like the ending as Venus died without having any love. Nobody deserves that.

I didn't noticed I actually voiced my distaste until the boy answered. "Not every story has a happy ending." There was a frown on his face and looked me in the eye. My own eyes widened a bit as I heard his accent. I thought there would be a Korean accent but the boy was American. Then it settled in my slow brain that he is still waiting for me to say something.

I smiled at him and answered "Yes but the journey is more important then the ending" he ducked his head low but I saw the corner of his lips twitch. A low growl of hunger caught my attention. That was certainly not me. I looked at the boy and his cheeks had a taint of pink hue. I stood up and walked in the kitchen and took three pieces of brownie in a plate and walked back towards the kid. Placing the plate in front of him I smiled at him as he looked at me with his onyx confused eyes.

I sat back in my seat and motioned him to eat "Eat up, I made it myself. Tell me how is it?" I asked and looked at him expectantly. He still looked unsure so I added "It's on the house" He debated a little but reluctantly picked up the fork and took a bite of the brownie.

"So...?" I asked waiting for his reply. He just took another bite while looking at my face causing me to chuckle. "I'll take that as a yes" I continued to smile at him as he finished the brownie and burped slightly. I almost awed at his cuteness. My eyes landed on the red bruises under the sleeve of his hoodie as he moved his arm to dust his mouth. I frowned.

Does his parents abuse him? I opened my mouth to voice it out but Judy calling my name cut me off. I turned my head and almost scowled at her. She gestured me that there'a a call for me and it's important. I sighed heavily and stood on my feet. "That's my cue. I'll leave you to your book. It was nice to meeting you......" I trailed off, again trying to get his name but he ducked his head back in his book. When he didn't answered for good ten seconds I turned around to leave.

"Nathan" his voice came lowly. I turned back and saw the book now covering his face from my site. I smiled to myself and started walking in the kitchen. Judy handed me my phone and I rested the iphone on my ear, courtesy of Caleb.

"Ms.Kingsley?" A gruff voice asked me from the other line.

"Yes" I answered and rested my ass on the table and my free hand supporting my half weight on it.

"I'm Mr.Samuel Hopkins, principle of Falls High" He informed me. I was alarmed by that. That's the school Ryker and Raine goes to.

"Yes Mr. Hopkins?" I asked.

"May I ask you to please come and see me in the office, immediately" he said in a hard voice. I quickly replied with 'I'll be there shortly' and sprinted out of the kitchen, wearing my coat. My eyes unknowingly went towards the table that was previously occupied by Nathan. Judy was by my side as she saw me ready to leave.

"Where's the boy?" I asked, worriedly. The bruises under his sleeve flashed in front of my eyes.

"His dad came to pick him up" she answered as she returned some change to the old lady.

Is his father the one who abuses him? and if not does his father know about it?

"I'm going to the school" I informed Judy and was out of the cafe, looking for a cab. I seriously need a car.

****