twenty-five

A WEEK LATER:

  Before Athena and Alejandro knew it, the week rolled over into a new one and by then exams were crowding the time they used to spend with each other to the books. Athena was working and studying hard, getting a pay rise was something she was very ecstatic about and used some of that new pay to buy Alejandro a small gift. It was just a simple watch she found at the jewelry store, with the little money she had, she was able to bargain the sales lady for a lower price. 

   "What's this?" he asked Athena with confusion as he eyed the bag place on his hand. He looked at Athena who was bubbling with excitement, a faint blush on her cheek as she gave him a small smile. 

  "I got a pay rise, so, I thought after everything you've done for Drew and I, I'd get you a present, it's nothing much, but I hope you like it," she admitted sheepishly as her heart hammered into her chest as a large smile grew on Alejandro's lips. He looked almost stunned as he looked at the present again and then back Athena, his heart missing a few beats at the thought of Athena getting him a present. A blush appeared on his cheeks as he noticed how happy she was, he liked when she was happy.

   He started to open the present, breaking the tape that was closing the opening of the bag and peered inside and noticed a medium sized box. Athena's heart leaped into her chest and then jumped into her throat, she didn't know if he'd like it. He was rich so that meant he probably had hundreds of watches, she didn't know what else to get him and the nervousness was eating her insides up. With an eyebrow raised at Athena, Alejandro took the box out of the bag and noticed the small print imprinted on the top of the box.

  "Athena, you shouldn't have," he said to her. He knew the Michael Kors brand was expensive, the thought of Athena spending so much money on him made his heart leap, but at the same time slightly annoyed. She didn't have to spend so much money on him! She could've spent it on new items for Drew or save it up for a new home, but no, instead she spent it on a watch for him and that thought alone made Alejandro feel very special. Athena took note of his expression and twiddled with her fingers as he opened the box which revealed the watch. His heart leaped in his chest at the sight of it. 

  It was black and a beige color. The leather strap looked very delicate and expensive, it was a plain brown and had no other detailing throughout it, but Alejandro thought it was very beautiful. It had a black watch face and it was kept simplistic, there was nothing more to it besides that it had lines which represented the time. He felt his heart constrict, knowing how expensive it would be and Athena buying it just for him. He felt warm all over.

   Athena watched his reaction carefully, noticing how his eyes shone brightly at the sight of the watch which made her release a sigh of relief

   Athena watched his reaction carefully, noticing how his eyes shone brightly at the sight of the watch which made her release a sigh of relief. She felt happy as he looked happy. He looked very struck with how the watch looked and Athena thanked her gut for choosing this watch after an hour of looking through the rest of them. She was glad the watch was simplistic and hopefully would go with anything.