Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

    Waves of pain washed over Elizabeth. She cried out and shook with the intensity, as it felt like her insides were ripping out of her. As the pain subsided slightly she leaned back against Brody's chest as he sat behind her in the bed and he ran his hands up and down her sweaty arms and kissed her hair. 

    "It'll be okay, cowgirl." he whispered. 

    Her jaw tightened as yet another pain began to build in her stomach and back, "That's easy for you to say! All you have to do is sit and watch!" she exclaimed and Susie shushed her patiently and ran a wet cloth across her forehead to cool her skin. 

    "Trust me, Elizabeth, if I could take the pain away, I would. This is killing me right now," Brody growled through clenched teeth as he laid his hands on her belly and felt the tightness as his child prepared to come into the world. 

    "I think it's about time to start pushing, Mrs. Atkinson." Doc Peterson said as he raised the thin sheet covering her and checked the progress.     Brody fought back the urge to kick the doctor right in the head but kept reminding himself that he was only looking at his wife's lower regions to help her give birth. 

    "Doc, I think you can call me Elizabeth. You're seeing more of me then even my husband does..." Elizabeth said as the pain eased again and she fought to catch her breath. 

    Doctor Peterson looked up at her and smiled while Susie blushed dark red and Brody chuckled. Leave it to his Elizabeth to be cracking jokes at a time like this. 

    "When you feel the next pain, Elizabeth, I want you to push." Elizabeth nodded as the doc pulled off his glasses and rolled up his shirt sleeves. Susie and Sally stood ready and waiting with warm towels. 

    Elizabeth gripped Brody's legs and bit her tongue to keep from screaming as the pain started again and she lowered her chin to her chest and pushed for all she was worth....

    Several pushes, a few screams, and two very bad bruises on Brody's thighs later and the sound of a baby crying filled the tiny room. 

    "Congratulations!" Doctor Peterson declared as he handed the baby to Sally and turned a happy gaze to Elizabeth and Brody, "You have a son."     Brody felt his chest swell with pride but before Sally had the baby cleaned up Elizabeth cried out again, "Doc, I'm not done yet!" she exclaimed and the doctor quickly disappeared back under the sheet. 

    Brody was sure he'd never be able to walk again after the havoc Elizabeth's hands had wreaked on his legs as the sounds of a second baby crying filled the air. 

    "Congratulations!" Doctor Peterson exclaimed yet again, handing this baby to Susie. "A pretty little girl." 

    "I told you it was twins!" Sally exclaimed happily. Sally and Susie laid the babies in Elizabeth's waiting arms and then quickly left the room to give them privacy. 

    "I'll be back out in the morning to check on everyone," Doctor Peterson said. "If you have any problems just send someone into town to get me." 

    "What kinds of problems?" Brody asked with just a touch of panic.     Elizabeth turned her head and kissed his stubble covered cheek, "Thank you, doc." she said and the doctor smiled and left the room, closing the door behind him. 

    "Look at what we made," Brody said in awe as he stared down at his dark haired son and daughter both sound asleep in his wife's arms. 

    "We did good," Elizabeth agreed sleepily as she leaned against him.     Brody smiled and kissed her hair, before sliding himself out from behind her and helping her get adjusted on the bed with the babies cradled against her.