Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Elizabeth kept one arm wrapped around Brody's waist as she turned in the saddle and waved at George, Carol Anne and Charlie. They had given her and Brody a brown mare to get home on and enough food and water to last for at least two days. Elizabeth vowed that someday she would pay them back for everything they had done.

Turing back around, she wrapped her other arm around Brody and laid her cheek against his broad back, enjoying his power, warmth and comfort. He kept one hand loosely on the reins and laid his other hand over hers as he looked out over the horizon. They rode for a long time in silence and the sun was high in the sky when he finally stopped next to an outcropping of trees.

He turned his head and looked at her with a smile, "Hungry?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Good. Me too." He jumped from the saddle and wrapped the reins around a low pine bough as Elizabeth jumped down and stretched out her aching muscles. She wished she could have worn her trousers and shirt but they had been beyond saving so she was still wearing Carol Anne's blue dress. She had to admit that Brody looked extremely handsome in Charlie's clothes. The crisp white shirt and midnight black vest hugged his muscular chest and broad shoulders and the black pants fit tight across his lean hips and long legs.

Brody walked over to her with a canteen and let her take a long drink before he pressed it against his own lips and took a sip.

"I've got something for you," he said as he screwed the top back on.

"What?" Elizabeth asked curiously.

Brody sat the canteen on the ground and reached in his pocket. He pulled out a necklace and held it up for her to see. The chain was simply cotton thread and the cross hanging from it was about two inches long and made out of shining pewter that caught the sunlight as he held it.

"I'll get ya a ring, I promise, but this is what I have to offer right now. The cross was my mama's. She wore it every single day and I took it when I left home. The chain got broke but Carol Anne gave me some string so you could wear it...." he shifted awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "Do you like it? You don't have to wear it if you don't want to..."

"I love it, Brody," she whispered through the emotions tightening her throat.

He smiled with relief and then draped the necklace over her head and rested the thread chain against her shoulders. She looked down at the cross dangling on her chest and smiled as she closed her hand around it, "I'll wear it forever," she promised.

"My mama would have liked you. She was a tough one just like you. I still think that's why pa didn't tell her to hide when those men rode up. He knew there was no way she'd turn the other cheek and leave him to face those men alone."

"Neither of us ever have to face anything alone again. You'll always have me, Brody."

They shared a gentle kiss and then she smiled against his lips when she heard his stomach growl.

"As nice as that kiss was, I think right now my stomach needs my attention more than you do," he winced and she laughed. They sat together and munched on some of the ham and biscuits that Carol Anne had sent with them and then they climbed back on the horse.

"We should get back to the ranch by tomorrow afternoon at the latest," Brody informed her as they started on their way.

"I hope pa is still there...." Elizabeth whispered sadly and Brody squeezed her hand that was resting on his stomach.