7. Twisted

I look up at Peeta, his face is as alarmed as mine, and feel Haymitch's hand grasp mine tighter. I turn to look for Prue and see her wide eyed, tears spilling down her face. The peacekeepers grab her arm and pull her forward.

"No." I say "Stop!" Everyone freezes and turns to me. "You can't do this. He's a twelve year old boy, she's a fifteen year old girl and they've both already been affected by these monstrous games. I won't let them go in."

"Well, There's nothing we can do about it." Effie confirmed "there's nothing at a--" Brutus, the new head peacekeeper goes up to the stage and whispers something in Effie's ear.

"Oh my! There seems to be a rule change. Katniss Everdeen, if you would like, you can take your daughter's place!" I turn to Haymitch.

"What do I do?" I whisper. He shrugs his shoulders. I sigh, let go of his hand and slide out of Peeta's grip. Prue runs into my arms.

"Go stay with your dad. When this is all over, don't forget me. I love you. You'll see your brother soon." I squeeze her tight and kiss her forehead. "Don't come to visit me in Justice Building later and don't cry. Be strong. for me." I let her go and walk up to Effie.

"I'm sorry, Katniss." She whispers. Everyone in the crowd lifts their three fingers from their left hand to their lips and holds it in the air.

"We love and support you, Mockingjay!" Someone shouts. everyone else in the crowd stays silent. They know as well as I do, what's going to happen to him.

"Happy Hunger Games!" Effie calls. She doesn't add on the last bit like she usually does. She places her hand on the small of my back and leads me through the doors to Justice Building. Cinna jumps up as soon as he sees me.

"What's going on, Mom?" He asks "Who's been chosen to go with me?" His eyes are ringed red from the continuous flow of tears running from his eyes. I just stare at him. He clicks on soon enough.

"Don't cry." I order. He nods and wipes his eyes. "Don't cry." I repeat, though my voice wavers a little. I sit on the ratty couch placed in the dusty room and wait for Peeta to arrive. He comes almost straight away.

"I don't have much time." He starts. "We'll talk about strategy on the train. They've allowed Haymitch to come because he's the only other victor. I love you, Katniss. I'm really sorry. I should have listened to you. I could have - I would have..." I take his face in my palms.

"Stop. Calm down. I don't need strategy. I know exactly what I'm going to do. I don't need to train, either. Don't worry about me. Go. Cinna needs you, not me." I kiss him until he's pulled away by the peacekeepers. The silence is painful. I tap my foot on the floor, though this does not calm me. You'd think I'd be used to this by now. I've done it two more times than anyone else, now. The door creaks open and a head pops through the side.

Gale!

I run into his arms and bury my head in his chest. "I'm sorry." I cry. "I'm sorry for the way I've treated you. I'm sorry for the pain I've put you through. I'm sorry." He rubs circles in my back, soothing me.

"It's okay." He says. I dry my eyes and look at him.

"I'm fine. I need you to do something for me." I make sure he's paying attention before I start. "You need to be fast. I need you to find Greasy Sae. She knows where we keep all our money. I need you to tell her to take every penny, and when the time comes, sponsor Cinna with it. Make sure she uses every penny. This is really important. If you can't find her, there's a pen and some paper in my room, go to my house and write a note and slip it under her door." He looks at me in confusion.

"What about you?" He asks. I bow my head down, following the pattern of the wooden floor.

"Katniss, no!" He almost shouts.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?" I hiss "he's my son! It's exactly the same as when I volunteered for Prim!"

"No." He corrects "You volunteering for Prue was the same as you volunteering for Prim. You're throwing your life away! What happens if you have to die to protect him earlier in the games. What does he do then?"

"What would you have done if it was your name instead of Peeta's that day?" I ask.

"I would do anything to protect you. I would have probably done exactly what Peeta did." I sigh and sit back down.

"You don't understand." I say "My child. I would do anything for him. I don't know what horror await in that arena, but I do know they're going to be bad. Worse than any game you've ever seen. They've restarted the games specifically to get me back in. I heard them say so myself." The peacekeepers come to take him out.

"Don't forget what I asked you to do!" I shout after him. He says something back, but I can't hear what it is. I sit in the almost darkness, until the door opens, again.

"Hello, Katniss. Is it okay if I come in?" She asks. I knew I wasn't imagining it!

"Sure, mom. Why are you here? Didn't you move to eight, or something?"

"There were rumours where I was. Loads of people didn't believe them, but I needed to make sure. Such lovely children you have. Its ever so sad, the situation you've been placed in. Three times!? Lets hope this is the last, eh?" I smile and hold her hand.

"Don't worry, I'm not staying long. I just wanted to come and wish you luck, whatever your choice. I know what a mother must do. And, in case your plan has to be put in use earlier than you had planned... Well, I have some money saved up; like I said, there were rumours. I plan to sponsor your son, or, if you make it long enough, you." I smile ruefully and let go of her hand.

"Go." I say "and thank you." She smiles back and leaves.

Effie comes to get me. We get in the carriage. Cinna joins us after a few moments, his eyes redder than before. We have to wait to see Peeta and Haymitch. Once we're on the train, we can talk. Until then, I have to keep my emotions bottled up. I have to be strong. For Cinna. For myself.

Vomment!

Love = Fried Goldfish Brains

Like =  Orange seaweed

Hate = peppa pig Bacon !