5. Retrace

Before y'all say anything, just for the future, not necessarily in this chapter, I realised that my story didn't quite work with the information I had put. So just to confirm, Finnick talking in the previous chapter has been changed to Annie , 'cause Finnick's dead, and Prue and Cinna's ages have changed too. Thanx xx

I wake up with a splitting headache. How does Haymitch put up with this? The pain is horrible! I stumble into the kitchen and find Peeta holding a cup of something hot for me. He sits at the table smirking. The kids were watching television in the living room. I smile at him thankfully and take the mug up to bed. He follows me up.., stopping and turning away from me every time I stop to look at him. I find my way to our bed and fall in it, placing the mug on the lamp side first. He just stands and looks at me. Weird. I try to ignore him and close my eyes. 

"Oomph!" I sit up with a jolt, it hurts my head, but I ignore it.

"What?" Peeta smirks.

"Something important happened last night. Something really important. Something  that's going to change our lives forever. But I can't remember what it is." I explain.

"Um, well, we had dinner with Gale and Madge; Oh, I almost forgot, Gale and Madge are engaged!  They told me while you were in the restroom." My ex best friend and my ex best friend getting married? My ex best friend and my sister's murderer!? I shake my head. We will talk about that later.

"No. I heard something while I was in the restroom. Or leaving. Or going. I don't know. What was it!? Peeta, I must have told you. Did I say something that may have sounded a little odd, last night, just before we left or just after?" He opens his mouth, as if to say something, but shuts it and shakes his head.

"Are you sure? Because you looked like you were gonna say something." He nodds his head and walks out of the room. He knows what I said, I can tell. But why won't he tell me. 

I pull my slippers on my feet and put my coat over my pajamas. 

"Where are you going?" Peeta calls when I get to the door.

"Out." I reply.

"In your pajamas? Really, Katniss?"

"Really." I say and walk out the door before he can say any more.

Knock Knock Knock knock knock...............

"Okay, Katniss. I'm coming. No need to break my door down." I barge through before Haymitch has fully opened the door.

"Oh, come in Katniss. Make yourself at home (!)"  I ignore his sarcasm.

"How did you know it was me?" I ask

"No one else would knock on my door like that. They'd knock lightly, because of my continuous hangover. You don't care about my hangover. So you'd knock as loud as you want." I pour myself a glass of water and sit at his kitchen table.

"Something happened last night. I can't remember what it is. I just remember me, Peeta and the kids being in Justice Building last night, because we had dinner with Madge and before we left, hearing something. All I know is it was important and I know that because every time I try to think of it, I get freaked out and my mind tries to push it away. I know Peeta knows what it is but he keeps denying I said anything to him." I hold my head in my hands and look down at the table.

"You came to me because I'm the only person who will listen to you and try to help you." He guesses. I nod my head and look up at him.

"What do I do, Haymitch? I wasn't meant to know about it. The door was closed and locked. Thickest door in the building, too."

"Retrace your steps." He suggests. What did you do last night?"

"Get really drunk." I say. He raises his eyebrows. "Fine. Um, I almost attacked Madge because she invited Gale and thats when I started drinking lots. We ate dinner and it was time to go. I had to go to the bathroom and on my way out, I stopped outside a door..." I close my eyes and slowly, it starts to come back to me. The Capitol, Annie... The Hunger Games.

"Haymitch..." I gasp.

"Do you remember?" I nod my head, still in bewilderment.

"I need to go. I'm sorry I disturbed you." I barely whisper.

I walk out of the door in a trance like state and finally make it home. Peeta is sitting on the sofa with the kids on his lap.

"I'm sorry, Katniss." He says. "I didn't think it was going to happen."

"What?" I ask. I was barely listening to him.

"It's been announced. The reaping is tomorrow. 'Let the games begin.'" 

Soz its short but my @LiyahWrites put me on a time limit to hav it complete in. I know, I know. So expected. 'Just like every other fanfic'. Just you wait till the next chapter. mwahahahaha nuff said xx 

 U guys r gonna h8 me when its posted. xx

DNT FORGET TO VOMMENT!