Chapter Seven

The now –extended– one month trip to Texas had come to a close. Kalila, despite her first thoughts on coming here, was saddened that her vacation was over, and that she'd have to return back to a dreary life back in New York. Baraka seemed nonchalant about it, telling her they would come back, some day.

Life had actually taken a turn on the bright side for Kalila. She would go shopping or on a leisure stroll in the mornings and almost every time she did, seemingly set up by some divine help, she would find herself talking with John. Their conversations were short, as Kalila feared being too close to him would breach Islam, but they were pleasant. Although never spoken aloud, she always looked forward to their next meet up.

"I wish I could just stay here," Kalila said to Baraka the noon they were expected to leave.

"Why?"

"Because when I'm here, I don't remember life back in New York, where I'm just a girl with no dreams." Baraka raised an eyebrow.

"And here you have dreams?"

"Well, it's like, I'm living one." When Baraka didn't seem convinced, she went on. "The view's just gorgeous here, I spend my time doing what I want, and I don't remember that I gave up a scholarship when I'm here. I remember that I'm still alive, not dead and worthless."

Baraka shook his head at her last words but smiled and put an arm around her.

"Let's take a walk, Kali."

"What for?"

Baraka shrugged. "So you can remember this when we're back home."

As much as Kalila had begun to love their little town, the sights before her made her stomach twist. It would most likely be the last time she saw the shops, the park, the beautiful Texan sky that she knew she would miss.

Baraka was talking, about everything, it seemed. Kalila listened, smiling unconsciously when it came to John, and how he'd made a miraculous change.

The kind of change no one had expected.

Something in Kalila's chest warmed when Baraka said, "He's going to be a good one. I know it."