Chapter Two

Kalila was getting tired of the stares. She was more comfortable with being pestered continuously by her parents about what she could and could not do now that it was just her and her brother making their trip.

"Mama, why can't you guys just come?" Kalila finally asked, exasperated by her mother's scolding about how she should keep her modesty and other girl related issues. Her mother paused in her speaking.

"Your father refuses to go, the lazy man," her mother answered with slight displeasure. Kalila hid a giggle behind her hand at her mother's perception on her father. To Kalila, he was the model Muslim father anyone could ask for. There was no imperfection in his image (other than the fact that he'd sided with her mother about refusing to let her go to MIT). "So we will stay. Now, stop interrupting, I'm not done."

The full speech had lasted a week, often things would get repeated and emphasized, as if it were not drilled into Kalila's head already.

It isn't a nice thing to say that you were happy to part with one's parents, but Kalila was. All her life she'd been sheltered out of the world and now, she was free. Well, not exactly, as her brother was receiving much longer, more solemn words of advice by their father on how to make sure nothing happened to her. Kalila was a caged bird before, but now, she was sure, she would be no different than a leashed dog with her brother as her merciless master.

Relatives had poured into their house the last few days before the flight, dropping gifts and giving their own advice to the two. Kalila didn't like the attention at all, especially since many of her uncles and older male cousins were questioning her father if this was "safe" and "right" for a young, unmarried girl. At those moments, she had every desire to go to Texas, to forget everything she was leaving behind. Because if Kalila could make all her stress disappear, she was sure her family would cease to exist.

But now, Kalila just wanted to go back home. The security guards were eyeing the covered girl and the well-to-do young man standing beside her in a jet black suit, each with a rolling suitcase and stern faces. The pair stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the thousands at the city airport.

"Don't be rude, Kalila," Baraka hissed. "Stop staring at them like we did something wrong and they'll stop."

"I wasn't staring!" She whispered back, frowning. Her brother shook his head, making her frown deepen. She clenched her jaw from speaking any further. It was now its her fault she was being stared at. Good-for-nothing racists, she thought.

Fortunately for the security, the two –and their luggage– were scanned without problems.

Kalila had seen her brother tense as they neared the checkpoint, perhaps afraid something would go wrong. But Kalila wasn't. Her mind was full of things she'd say to them if they decided to take any "extra" measures of safety when it came to them. And they were not particularly nice things.

But first class flying had its benefits. The two were boarded onto the plane without much wait and were given luxurious seats with ample personal space. A male flight attendant loaded their suitcases above them while they situated themselves in the royal blue furnishing.

Kalila closed her eyes and muted the world out. With a silent prayer, she opened her eyes. She was ready for this.

****

John had received many smiles and nods as he entered Richard's store. He was dressed in a dark, short-sleeved shirt and grey suit pants, but the only indication that let others know he was a priest was the clerical collar he wore; it was a strip of black linen centered white that ran close to his throat.

"Good evening, Father," the middle-aged clerk said, smiling. He smiled back, lifting his groceries onto the register.

"How is your brother doing, Rachel?" he asked.

"He was a bit agitated when dad told us his business partner was going to be a Muslim," she answered sheepishly. John shook his head at her words. Rachel slid the items across the machine and quickly bagged the items. "That would be $17.50."

As John took out his wallet to pay for the groceries, the door to store twinkled open. John glanced over his shoulder to see a young man dressed in a black suit and –perhaps his sister?– a young girl walk in, talking furiously with one another.

A silence had hushed in the crowded store when everyone caught sight of the young girl, covered head to toe in black clothing, showing only her eyes. John turned his attention away from the two.

"That's gotta be them," Rachel said, nodding her head to the two who had just stepped in. "I'll go get dad and Joseph. Wait a moment, will you Father?" She quickly walked into the back, calling out for the men.

John waited patiently as he saw Richard and his son Joseph enter the store from a back door, Rachel close at their heels. Richard nodded in John's direction before grinning to shake the newcomer's hand. Rachel quickly stepped back into her spot and finished with John's checkout.

Thanking her, John turned to exit the store when he heard a young couple addressing the Muslim girl. John couldn't believe what he heard. Taking a leap of faith, he locked her eyes with his before taking action.