Chapter Three

The moment Baraka left with Mr. Ess, a couple hounded Kalila.

"You poor girl! We can help you get away from your husband," the young woman said, patting Kalila's arm in comfort. "And get all this dreaded clothes off you."

Kalila's throat constricted, speechless. After all her fiery ambition to talk down anyone who insulted or confronted her with ignorance, she could barely speak now that it had finally happened. Having not worn the face veil at the airport, Kalila realized she should have just left it at home.

"I'll get the cops on 'im if he's forcing you to wear that. This is America, yer free to show yer face 'round here," the woman's husband added with a proud smile. Kalila's eye sought for her brother, anyone, who could help her. Was this really happening to her?

And that's when her eyes met the priest's.

"If you'd pardon me, sir, ma'am, I don't believe this girl needs any help," he said, coming from behind them.

"But Father! Look at her! You can't tell me she's happy wearing all that...confinement," the woman said in disbelief. "That's not right."

Kalila opened her mouth to retort that she was in no way confined, when the priest spoke on.

"I'm sure she would have sought out help if she were being forced," he reasoned. The two mumbled, shaking their heads. "Please, go on. I shall assure no harm comes to her."

"Alright, Father," the husband said, taking his wife by the hand. "We'll take yer word for it."

"Have a blessed day," John said with a smile.

After they had gone, Kalila snapped out of the daze she was in. Emotions rushed back to her mind. Anger. Disbelief. Anger...gratitude.

"Thanks...Father..." Kalila muttered, giving him a side-long glance. Who knew priests didn't just damn all non-Christians? And Texan ones at that?

To hear a Muslim girl call him 'Father' made John laugh. It was definitely an odd thing.

"You are welcome," he said, smiling. "And you may call me John if that is more appropriate for you to say than Father."

Kalila nodded her head and turned away slightly–involuntarily. But it was a sign that their talk had come to a quick close. For a moment, John felt a bit offended she would cut their conversation off so quick, but then he remembered this was her religion, after all.

"Have a blessed day." The automatic farewell made Kalila raise her eyebrows, but it made the edge of her lips curl just the slightest.

"You, too...John."

Just as he turned to go, John noticed the girl's almost happy expression was gone, replaced by something darker. Fear?

"Ah, John," Richard's voice cut through the silence. He turned to face his friend, noticing the young man the girl had entered in with was with him as well. "You've met Miss Kalila, I see." John nodded. "She is Mr. Baraka, my business partner's, younger sister. They're visiting for two weeks."

John held a hand out for Baraka to shake. The young man shook it firmly, a smile on his face.

"Good to meet you, er, Father," he stuttered. John chuckled. The two were most certainly siblings.

"Same here, Baraka. But unfortunately I have to go now. I have to get lunch made before mass."

"No need to apologize, John," Richard said. "We'll have a nice meeting; my son, Baraka, you, and myself sometime."

Kalila made a coughing noise, whether it was intentional or not, the three men could only guess.

"I'm tired. Can we go now?"

"We're on our way," Baraka said through clenched teeth, his cheeks coloring a bit. From behind the veil John saw Kalila make a face before walking out of the shop, leaving all three slightly shocked by her behavior. "Sorry, Richard, John. The travelling has been tough on her."

"A girlwho knows to speak her mind is always a lovable one,my friend," Richard said with a laugh. "Shows she's been raised right." Baraka gave a strained smile.

John walked out of the store first, catching a glimpse of Kalila on her own. Her eyes were staring up at the blue rolling skies above. They slowly sank back to Earth as she heard him walk out. When her eyes met his once again, for just that moment, she looked utterly at peace.