STEP NINE: Some Big Chapter No-Nos

When writing a book, there are always some big writing things to avoid doing in chapters. Obviously each book and each writer is different, but these are generally some things to avoid.

• having whole chapters of dialogue. This can become very boring for a reader, so break up dialogue with description. Not only does this vividly paint the scenes happening, but makes the dialogue stand out more within the chapter.

• rushing over details. There are some things you can't miss out otherwise the reader will be confused. Especially when writing complex stories or complex worlds (particularly in Science Fiction), take the time to explain to your reader what is happening in a clear but concise way.

• using pointless dialogue. You do not need to write every greeting your characters have with each other, instead simply say 'they greeted each other'. Unless they have a particular funny or dramatic greeting phrase, don't include lines like 'he said, "Hey Brian."'

• over complicating things. Don't confuse a reader by using a string of complex and confusing adjectives to try to sound descriptive. Add description, but not in excess. There is so much as too much of a good thing.

• filler chapters. Just don't. Every chapter should have at least something substantial happening. I'm not saying every chapter needs to be action packed and dramatic, but each chapter should contribute towards the end goal of the book.

• too many POVs. Readers tend to enjoy a book less if the point of view is changing constantly. Try and keep the POV relatively constant within a chapter, changing only once if you really want to.