Chapter 5: The Chariot Parade

I push the covers down. Great. Today's the day of the chariot ride. And today I meet my stylist. I've heard Blight and Marie discuss her, unhappily, I might add. Pretty sure her names Yemenda. Ew.

Then I shudder as I remember kissing Amarack. I didn't mean to. Well, I mean, yeah I did. But I pulled away and darted down the stairs and hid in the cabinets below the sink. When I finally got the courage to go back up a minute later, he was gone. That's when I peeked out into the hall and came to a conclusion:

Unless a bear ripped his head off and took it with him, he'd gone back to his room. So I went back to bed.

Slowly, I get out of bed. Brush my teeth, even though breakfast is in a few minutes. Take a shower and let the automatic blow dryers do the work of the towel, making my hair silky and shiny- something it's never been before.

When Marie comes to my door to inform me it's time for breakfast, I walk into a room with the same delightful meal as yesterday. In no time I've gobbled down all I can hold- hot chocolate, strawberries topped with whipped cream, a warm bagel fresh from the toaster with cream cheese spread over it.

Amarack proceeds to come in while I'm halfway finished with my bagel, and when I glance at him for only a moment, it is certain he's avoiding eye contact. Probably embarrassed that I ran out after we kissed.

"Good morning!" Baily descends into the dining area from her room. It is a shock to all of us, how she can be so bright and cheery at a time like this, but then it hits me. She encourages these games. How could I almost forget?

"Sorry I'm a bit late for breakfast! I set my alarm a few minutes later by accident!" She sighs like it's the worst thing that could happen to her.

I take in Baily- with her yellow hair she fluffs unhappily. She seems to think it's pretty, but I think it looks the color of piss. Too much makeup, notably messy this morning. Her bright pink lipstick must've been put on in a hurry and bright blue eyeshadow, which is a bad way to wear my favored color.

"Morning," I mumble, and continue to munch the last of my bagel. I lick the cream cheese off of my fingers and Baily sighs, once again, unhappily. Must be my 'manners.' Every escort is like this, but at least she's not the worse. The only one I've seen on TV who gets so irked if you have bad manners is some chick named Effie, who's got bright pink. She's the escort from 11. Wait, 12... I think.

Blight starts to talk. "Alright, Johanna and Amarack, you both know you'll be meeting your stylists today. Amarack, yours is Pobeni. Johanna, yours is Yemenda. You are NOT going to like what they'll do to you, alright? But just cooperate, please?" He asks, not in a begging tone, but it's important.

"What kind of name is Pobeni? And Yemenda?" I ask, disgusted.

"They're from the Capitol, Johanna," He says, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. It kind of is.

Baily seems to take this offensively. "Well, you guys like my name, right?" She begs, batting her eyelids. "It's not weird?"

Shaking our heads, we all say "No!" in a sarcastic tone, but she doesn't seem to get it.

"Oh good!"She squeals, relived.

When I'm finished breakfast, I'm hurried into a room where I meet 'Yemenda'. At first I don't see her, but she comes out from behind a curtain. When she gasps, I'm slightly startled. She knew I was coming... "You're Johanna! The girl tribute from District Seven!" She squeals.

"Uh... yeah?" I resist the urge to say duh. "You were expecting me, weren't you?"

"Ah, yes!" She's got bright tattoos on her arms. The color blue, of course. Her thick lips- must've had plastic surgery. And her hair...oh, her hair. Blue and green and orange and red and yellow and everything... Just rainbow.

"So, what are we going to be this year?" I ask, taking a seat on a red sofa. Yemenda twirls around, her blue dress following a bit behind her. It's so shimmery and clean, unlike anything we have back home.

I sigh in my head. They live such a good life here. In the districts, it's a miracle to get a good meal. I fantasize about what it would be like to have a full belly all the time, to live old, because they didn't die early from starvation or a sickness gone uncured.

"This year, me and Pobeni, the other stylist, have decided we're going to dress you as trees! It's sooo District 7!"

"Weren't we trees last year?"

"Well, yes, but..."

"And the year before?" I raise my eyebrows.

"But..."

"And every year for as long as I remember?" I question.

She sighs. "Well, you're trees. What else are you going to?"

"Wood. Fire, since it's burned here. I don't know. There are lots of things to do if you knew a thing about my district besides it's the lumber industry," I retort.

Her prep team attacks me. Getting rid of all my hair. Fixing up my hair. Putting makeup all over my face. And then I get dressed in what I think is the ugliest tree costume ever- Ruffled leaves poking out of me, the bark, in every which way.

When I get into the chariot several minutes later, Amarack is already there. He stands stiffly by my side. The gates open. First District 1, 2, 3... and then us. The District 7 chariot with brown horses (Wood, you know? Get it?) that pull out a few moments after 6. Trained, I guess. Just for this.

When we loop around the city circle, I wave a bit, smiling at the crowd the slightest bit. Some scream my name. "Johanna!" I hear one lady scream her head off: "Do you love Amarack?" I kick my ankle to remind myself I need to act weak. My smile fades and I look down.

Perfect. My acting skills I used in second grade are finally coming in handy.

When we get back, I hop down. Yemenda is there, squealing. She grabs my hands and I resist pulling them away, annoyed, because the other tributes are still there and I need to still look weak.

"Johanna! Wonderful job! EEEEEEEH!"

Don't roll your eyes.

Marie comes up to congratulate me before whispering, "How about we go back to the training center?" She leads me back and I punch the 7 button on the elevator. We wait until we're safely off the elevator to speak.

"So, that's your training strategy, huh?" She asks.

"What?" I'm shocked. How could she tell already.

"Pretending to be weak."

"Well, yeah. Can't believe you actually noticed."

She smiles and walks away.

I sit down. How did I end up here? Oh, right. The Hunger Games.

Amarack comes out of the elevator.

Before I know it, I'm out of my chair. "Amarack!" I grab his arm, wondering if he'll even stop. He does, and I follow his gaze down to my hand on his arm. He doesn't look happy. I tug it away, and my face burns.

"Amara-" I start.

"I know. You made a mistake. You don't actually like me. I understand. You know and I know we both aren't coming out of these games together, maybe even neither of us."

"No, I-" I try again.

"Johanna-" He gently touches me hand. "-I promise, it's alright." His voice is hollow and he walks back to his room, probably to take off his stupid tree costume.

When I get to my room, I tug it off and toss the leaves and 'bark' to the corner. But then I leap into them and snuggle up close, pretending I'm in District Seven. It's morning and I'm headed out to chop down some trees...

Oh, how I miss it.

It's a shame I'll never go back.