Chapter 40: End of a Tunnel

A/N
Last chapter ... tough journey huh?

Thank you for still being alive to read this :'D

Comments and votes are highly appreciated! Love y'all!

"Errol is at your house?"

"Damn it, Pel, why'd you have to make it sound like I had a one night stand with him?"

Pelham bit his lower lip to suppress his smile, though he was well aware that April couldn't see him, owing to the fact that they were both talking on the phone. "Well, did you?"

"No!"

He couldn't help it; he laughed. "What, did you invite him over for a slumber party?"

"Pelham, I know you have one paper left tomorrow. I know you're excited because your exams are almost over. And I know you're excited for summer," she said, a sigh dragging at her tone. "But please, sometimes you being this bubbly weirds me out."

"Would you rather a gothic mode?"

There was a pause, to which Pelham could distinctly imagine April shivering on the spot at the mere image of himself in a dark, presumably sinister version. "Okay, I'm not complaining," she said. "You just ... you sound happy."

"It's almost summer,"

"Yeah. That,"

"Really," Pelham shifted on his bed as he adjusted his phone near his ear, "what happened to Errol?"

"That Asian guy ... Jordie. I'm assuming,"

"How so?"

"He kept muttering about tryna kill that guy,"

"Maybe it's just the alcohol in his blood,"

He heard April snort. "I found him passed out at the back of the parlour earlier this afternoon," she explained. "Okay, not really. He was giggling when I approached him. Obviously he couldn't drive. So I gave him a lift. But once he was in my car - see, I was gonna ask him for his address - he passed out. Had no choice but to take him with me. It was a tough work, dragging him into the house."

"So you slept together?"

"You're making it sound obscene,"

"I promise you I'm not,"

"Well, to answer your question; no, he slept on the couch," she said. "My parents were kinda freaked out when they saw him this morning. Though, my sister was giving him the saucer eyes. It was annoying."

"Jealous?"

"Am not,"

"Tell me when you've changed your mind,"

He could hear April huff on the line. "So how are things with your mum?" she asked, clearly trying to alter the topic. Pelham doubted she wanted to talk about an inebriated Errol any further, especially not when the boy was - in all likelihood - eavesdropping over their conversation right at this moment.

Pelham shrugged. "Keeping up,"

"Are you still giving her the silent treatment?"

"I'm not a cruel person," he said. "Unlike you, of course."

"Yeah, 'cause I'm ruthless like that," she agreed. Pelham felt his face split into a grin. "And how are things with Lucio?"

Now he felt his stomach contract. "We're good," he said.

"Just good? No details?"

"He said he wanted to visit his hometown this summer," he said, knowing fully well that it was considerably irrelevant to what April was actually prompting.