Chapter Four: High On You

He helps her out of the car, her eyes still half shut. She didn't speak much the ride home, the medicine was still only just beginning to work. He walks her to her trailer and helps her inside, directing her right to her bed.
"Where am I?" she asks, looking around as she lays on her bed.
"In your trailer." he says with a smile. She looks at him with surprise.
"Who are you?" she asks, her words blending together.
"Nestor."
"Holy shit, you're hot." she says with surprise. He laughs while she continues to look at him with wide eyes.
"Like...wow." she says, reaching up to touch his face. And then her mouth slips up into what can only be assumed to be a poor attempt at a sexy smile.
"Did you clean your pants with windex? Cause I can see myself in them later tonight." she says, trying to wink but actually just blinking really hard. Nestor laughs loudly, surprised by her statements.
"I'm married." he says.
"To me? Damn I'm good. Worked like a charm." she says with a smile. He laughs again, pulling the covers up to her chin.
"You cold? Need anything to drink?" Nestor asks.
"You're weird." she says.
"Well you're weirder." he says back with a smile.
"Duh! I'm the fucking queen of weirdos." she says, giving him a strange look. Nestor laughs at her statement, wondering how this side of Vera was so deeply hidden inside of herself.
There's a knock at the door and Nestor walks to answer it, finding Freddie, Max and Olivia at the door.
"We came to check on Vera." Olivia asks.
"She's here. I just want to warn you though, they gave her medicine and she isn't lucid." he says, letting them in.
They walk in quietly while Vera smiles at them.
"Hi." she says.
"You sure are." Max says, sitting next to her. She looks at him and then at Nestor with confusion.
"Wait...which one of you is my husband?" she asks.
"Me." Nestor says, earning confused looks.
"I mean, no. But it was me you thought-"
"Have we had sex yet?" she asks.
"No-"
"What the hell was I thinking?" she asks.
"Listen, I think you need some rest. You've had a rough day." Nestor says, tucking her in.
"Or you could join me and make my day even more rough. Maybe bang my head a few more times?" she asks, wagging her eyebrows. Everyone laughs at her boldness while Nestor awkwardly steps away.
"You're not going to like the things you're saying tomorrow." he says.
"Maybe not." she says, grabbing his hand.
"Sleep tight." he says, kissing her forehead. She grabs his neck, weakly pulling him toward her. He pulls away easily with a smile.
"That's not a good idea." he says. She laughs like a mad woman before finally crashing into a deep sleep, mid-laugh.
"Problem solved." Freddie whispers as they all walk out of her room.
"I guess her scenes will have to wait a few weeks to be filmed." Olivia says.
"Shannon is still here." Freddie says.
"What? Why? Where?" Nestor asks, feeling his anger rise.
"She stuck around and hung out in the corner. Said she wanted to wait for you to come back." Max answers.
"Alright. I don't need this right now." Nestor says, his thumb and forefinger digging into his forehead with aggravation.
"We can tell her to go." Olivia offers.
"You would?" he asks with surprise.
"Sure. We...we don't like her watching us anyways." Max says hesitantly.
"Thank you so much." Nestor says with relief. The three kids grab their things and head for the door.
"Tell Vera to feel better. We will probably be by later when she is lucid." Freddie says.
"Sounds good." Nestor says, closing the door. He heads for the couch, deciding to take a nap.
When he reawakens, the sound of vomit fills his ears. He sits up quickly, looking around. The noise comes from his bathroom and Nestor jogs to the door.
"Vera? You okay?" he asks. No reply. He knocks on the wood, becoming worried.
"V? You in there?" he asks. Still no reply. He finally opens the door and finds her laying beside the toilet looking exhausted.
"You okay?" he asks.
"Is this...the medicine or the concussion?" she whispers.
"Concussion. Want to go back to bed?" he asks.
"Yeah." she whispers. He picks her up bridal style and walks her into her room, gently setting her down on her bed.
"Will you rub my back?" she asks weakly. He smiles and nods, laying beside her while she turns away from him. He hesitantly begins, not wanting to hurt her. Eventually, her soft snores fill the room, making Nestor smile.
The day quickly turned to night and Vera slept through most of it, waking occasionally to throw up and drink water before passing out again. Nestor contemplated sleeping here in her bed or on her couch.
After thinking about her well being and what she would want, he decided to make his way to the couch, bringing with him a pillow and spare blanket. He makes himself comfortable and slips his eyes shut.
Every night, he finds himself wearing Vera's name on his lips and her face on his heart to bed, in hopes to see her in his dreams, even though he knows he will wake up with chapped lips and a heavy, empty heart in the morning. Yet he couldn't resist the urge of hoping. Some nights he was gifted with her presence in his dreams but most nights he remained hopeful only to wake up disappointed.
This night was no different. Even with her sleeping less than 100 feet away, he still couldn't get an appearance in his dreams.