Chapter #7

Chapter #7

At the open of my eyes, I see darkness. My breath ricochets back at me off of the cloth that partially covers my body. The substance which covers me is rough, covering down to my waist, I presume.

My thumping head plays along to the beat of my heart. My back has a stiff pain enlarging, as does my legs. My hands are behind my back. I wish I could say there is no pain in my hands that are stuck together.

I am sitting on a chair which is no more comfortable than sitting for long hours on a dilapidated one.

My breath suffocates me, my pain overwhelms me, and the thought kills my mind.

Is Coldan alive?

He must be! Nobody can harm a child without word spreading! I stop myself. That is exactly what the government wants us to think.

If it has happened before, I would not know, for the government could have trapped the word before it spread.

My thoughts change sides of the table. Then again, will I be alive to see him? After all, I am being held like a hostage or even a prisoner. My execution could be within the next few hours...

"Yes, sir! I will, sir!" A deep voice calls loudly. Which is odd, for I have not heard any sound for any of my awake minutes.

"You better do it right!" A voice, possibly the same one, swore soon after.

The door sounded of steel, yet not a spec of rust showed through the audio I am hearing .

"Remove it." A higher voice demanded.

I felt, at the least, one person untying my stuck hands, and legs. My areas covered by the cloth, however, were left veiled.

The same higher voice continues to give commands, but I could hear only one of the which. The rest I tuned out.

"If she refuses to talk or gives the wrong answer, we kill the boy."