Three

Chapter Three; Family Matters.

The next morning was gloomy, the clouds were a dark shade of grey as they passed Eden's building. She groaned falling down onto the couch, she stared at the plain white ceiling wondering what would've happened if she had stayed for dinner the past night. She was still in her yellow knit sweater, it reminded her to much of home and her family and if she took it off she was afraid the feeling would just disappear. Eden missed her family dearly, she missed the smell of her father making tea and the way her twin brother would walk around the house with his nose stuck in a book. She missed everything.

Eden sat up and walked over to her telephone which sat on the wall by her front door, it was a bright red while the walls were a light grey. She dialled her family's home number, when nobody picked up she tried again and again until someone did. Her brother answered the phone, he voice filled with sadness.

'Hello, Eden?'

She chuckled, 'How did you know it was me?'

'No sane person calls more then five times in a row, only you do that.'

'It's nice to speak with you again,' She said, 'I've missed you guys, how's father?'

'A wreak, to be truthful.' Her brother sighed, 'Since Mother's birthday is in a few weeks he hasn't gotten out of bed, he's been crying and sobbing for days I'm afraid.'

Eden frowned, she hadn't thought specifically about her mother in the past few months. She was ashamed, when her mother passed away she promised she'd never forget her but wasn't this the first stage of forgetting?

'Eden?' Eli's voice echoed through the telephone, 'Are you still there?'

'Y-yes.' She breathed, 'Sorry, it's just that I won't be able to make it home for Mother's birthday.'

'May I ask why not?' Eli asked, 'Is it work related, I've heard the Ministry is in fits.'

Eden shook her head even though he couldn't see her. She missed not being able to talk to him in person.

'Ever since Grindelwald has apparently surfaced in New York the Ministry is working hard to find him.'

Her brother sighed, 'I've got to go now, Father's calling me.' He said, 'Hopefully I'll see you soon?'

'Yes, of course.' She replied, 'And remember if I ever face that man myself I'll give him Hell. For Mother.'

'For mother.' He said, 'But Eden, don't go and get yourself into trouble!' She could feel him smile even through the phone as he hung up. Eden sighed lazily walking back to her living room, sometimes she hated living alone in such a big city.

CRACK!

Eden jumped back, running through her kitchen door she grabbed a knife from the utensils door. She held it up over her shoulder as she cautiously stepped into the living room, she could see the outline of a man.

'Who's there?' She asked, 'I've got a knife, beware!'

The man chuckled, 'You do realized I could harm you much worse with my wand? That knife is no match against me.'

She stepped into the living room still holding the knife, she only lowered it when she saw that it was Newt standing in her living room.

'How did you find me?' She asked.

'Miss Goldstein's sister gave me your address.'

'And Tina just let you leave?'

He smiled, 'No, I kinda just left. She has no idea I'm gone.'

'You better get back before she does, she'll find something to turn you into the Ministry in no time.'

'How about we walk back to her apartment together then?' He said, 'We can catch up on the way down their.'

Eden shook her no, she told herself she would never go anywhere with him again.

'I will not.'

'And why not?'

She looked at him, she was surprised that he hadn't changed much from the last time she saw him.

'I have a job to complete!' She exclaimed sitting down on her couch with her arms crossed.

'And I believe that job is to be following me.'

She sighed rubbing her eyes, 'I don't remember you being so difficult.'

'You never used to speak as much, nether did I but people change, Eden.'

She looked up at him, he was much taller now then he was before while she was still the same height.

'Well, are we walking to Miss Goldstein's flat or not?'

Eden grunted standing up, she quickly raced to her room to retrieve her wand. When she returned to the living room Newt was gone, he stood by the door with his arm extended. Eden smiled, it was just like old times. She walked up to him and linked her arm through his before they entered the hall. Locking the door behind her, they were off.

•••

It was raining when they got outside, Eden loved the rain. She loved the way the cold water felt on her skin, she loved the way it smelled afterwards. Nether of them said anything as they walked down her street, Eden was to scared to start the conversation while Newt just liked the quiet.

'How's your family?' Eden broke the silence, 'I hope their all well.'

Newt coughed while nodding, 'Yes, everyone's good.' Perhaps he was realizing the mistake of being around Eden to long, they hadn't spoke in years and they both never liked the awkwardness.

'How's your family?' Newt asked her, 'Did your brother ever get into the Ministry?'

Eden shook her head no, 'He realized he'd actually have to work so he decided not to, he sings a local pubs but he earned enough money to get by.'

'Good for him!' Newt smiled, 'How's your parents?'

Eden frowned as she focused her attention to the ground, she knew the colour had drained from her face.

'My father is doing alright... so is Eli' Eden said, 'My Mother isn't though.'

She tried to end the conversation there, she didn't want to tell him her mother passed. Not when they only just began talking again, it didn't matter that they had been friends for as long as she could remember.

'What?' He frowned, 'Is she ok?'

'Not really...' she mumbled 'No.'

He stopped walking and looked down at her, her focus was still stuck to the wet pavement. Maybe this was why Eden didn't like to think about her Mother, it was because she always knew she'd end up crying. It was because when she did pass away Eden never really had enough time to grieve before being dragged back to work.

'Eden?' He asked when he noticed a few tears running down her cheeks, from the angle he could see them through the light. His eyes went wide when he realized the truth, that her Mother was gone.

'I'm so sorry,' He said pulling her close to him.

'So am I.'

'H-how did it- how did she?'

'Grindelwald' she whispered, 'She got in the way when he murdered all those Muggles.'

Newt let out a breath he had no idea he was holding as he held Eden tighter, he shook his head as he felt tears welling in his own two eyes. He had known Eden's mother for ages, she was like his second mother only almost better. In that moment as he held onto his old crying best friend he realized maybe he should of stayed, perhaps then it would be different.