Chapter 3: Zoey

Chapter 3: Zoey

"Gods!" I shrieked as my foot got caught in the living-room rug as Ronnie chased me down the entire apartment. I stumbled but due to my awesome ninja reflexes was completely fine until Ronnie crashed into my back, sending us both down on the floor. I rolled around in pain as I clutched my elbow, the funny bone not being funny.

However, that pain was short-lived, and I was soon distracted when Ronnie's palm met my cheek accidentally with quite a force. I grunted as I struggled with her as she tried to grab a part of my body.

Why is she so violent? For Christ's sake.

We wriggled some more, with me trying to get the damn letter out of reach and away from the demon's clutches herself. I tried to do a classic roll away, but Ronnie, being much quicker on her feet, straddled my stomach.

Her being a cheerleader in her school days helps her so much.

We both stilled and gasped, tired, and utterly breathless. My hands were still above my head, holding the letter away from Veronica. What does that letter contain, exactly? Well, it's a letter which comes from Maxim Co-orp bi-annually, for an event where young, unmarried girls are made to come on a platform and men will bid for a date with them.

The money from the bidding goes straight to the Church and helps all the orphan children in the country to study or get some necessities. It's a pretty big event which is held in almost every city. There are also background checks on everybody who volunteers so as to prevent unnecessary crimes. It's quite a spectacle, where the girls have to dress up and the males would be in formal attire.

But, to volunteer for that, you first need to fill out a form to confirm if you will be attending. That is what that letter contains.

"Come on Z!" Ronnie gasped, hands by her side to probably nurse the part where I had elbowed her a bit roughly, "It will be fun! It won't be like last time, I promise!"

I literally shuddered under her. Last time was the worst time I had ever had at this event. I had gone on a date with this guy who went on and on about his ex-wife and how he didn't love her because she apparently didn't know how to cook. I could finally run away, in horror from him, after he told me how his ex-wife had committed suicide.

I admit the notion of the Maxim Co-orp is very good; they are helping little kids who are orphaned, giving them what they need, to get by in life. But personally, dressing up and going somewhere where hordes of men will see you, inspect you and spend money just to date for charity is a bit disturbing for me.

"Get up, fatso." I wheezed. Ronnie was practically crushing my stomach. What did this girl eat?

Instead, she pecked my cheek and then with the stealth of a cat, grabbed the letter and stood up hurriedly, pumping her arms up in the air in victory. Sighing, I stood up, and faced her, pursing my lips, watching her rock back and forth on her heels. She pouted at me.

"Fine, we will go. On one condition. It will be a simple dress this time." I said as she jumped on the sofa and laughed. I smiled, knowing how much this event meant for her. Being an orphan herself, she had a special place for them in her heart.

She herself was funded with the money which came from events like these, which allowed her to attend school and now work as a receptionist in one of the 'Fabia' hotels. Every year she donates 1/4 of her savings to the orphanage. She helps them in every way she can, and I love her for that. She is one of the kindest and most helpful people I have ever met.

I still thank the gods I had found such an awesome flat mate when I had shifted here to New York to take over my late grandfather's bookshop. We have been living here together for four years now.

"Thanks Zoey. You really are the best!" She shrieked as she gave me a side hug when I flopped down beside her.

"Ah...tell me something I don't know about." I winked as I patted her knee, preparing myself mentally for the function next weekend. I was already tired with the thought of shopping for myself. I like having good clothes to wear but do not particularly like looking for them. 

Veronica, on the other hand, was completely opposite. She mostly buys from small shops, but her outfits are always amazing. She really had quite an eye for design and matching. She would do so well as a fashion designer.

"Well, do you know that if this earth suddenly stopped spinning, the moment of inertia would force everything—like sea water and stuff would jerk sideways at about sixteen-hundred kilometers per hour?!"

I blinked, trying to process the information just given to me. "What?" I asked dumbfoundedly.

"Well you did say something you didn't know...and since you were pretty dumb in school..." She winked back at me, before getting up and twirling in place with the letter clutched close to her chest. I laughed, thinking how adorable she looked, just like a kid.

"Come here, you smartass." I said just as she jumped and rushed away from me, her excited peal of laughter reaching my ears as the chase started again.

---
Me, with a big microphone: So, I have decided the BIG UPDATE WEEK for this book will be next week, from 13th October to 19th October!

My readers after quick calculation: Damn guuuurl, 7 days? Does that mean 7 chapters?

Me, panicking: Oh, wait what no---HELL YES IT DOES.
7 days, 7 chapters. 

AND TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GUESSING WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT BY THE COMMENTS: 
After chapter 5, the book completely changes track. Like it was going to town ABCD, now it will cut through EFGH, will not stop at IJKL and reach top speeds at MNOP and will continue through the night to reach QRSTU. Hopefully, I will save it from being derailed at VWXYZ.

Fingers crossed. 
All my love,
-A

See you next week.