[스물 여섯] Plague

"All this time running from walkers, you forget what people do."

~Maggie Greene (Rhee)

The shatter of glass made everyone in the room flinch, including the one who dropped it from sheer panic.

"Sorry- I'm sorry." Glenn quickly got on the floor to pick up the pieces, but Maiya stopped him. 

"Glenn, it's fine. We'll clean it up." Maiya placed her hand on his shoulder, offering him a concerned look.

"I-I," Glenn stuttered, noticing the dubious glances the others gave. "I-I'm tired. This... this was a good meal...Thank you, but I want to go to bed now."

"Wait. Is my brother there? Is he really alive?" Jeffrey stood up eagerly at the notion. 

"...Yeah..." Glenn practically groaned in response, thinking how this would be just his luck to run into Rick Grimes's brother of all people.

Jeffrey's smile widened; his eyes filling with tears. "So he was right... We have to go back then!"

Glenn remained in place, staring at his shaking body. A low mumble escaped his lips, wanting to turn into a yell. 

"C'mon. I'll show you your room." Maiya pulled her brother up to his feet, sensing his unease. "Jeffrey, we'll discuss this later."

"But, Commander, we will return, right? I want to find my brother too!" Jeffrey exclaimed. 

"Jeffrey!" Lillith silenced him for speaking out of place. 

"Like I said, we will discuss it later," Maiya responded tensely. 

"Richie could be in trouble! The whole community could be in trouble! Why else would Glenn flee?" Jeffrey continued protesting.

"It wasn't like that," Glenn replied darkly.

"Enough, Jeffrey," Dante warned gravely.

But Jeffrey ignored him, walking towards Maiya and Glenn instead.  "Then what was it like?" 

"There's a lot you don't understand, Jeffrey." Maiya let go of her brother, turning all her attention to her longtime friend.

"Then tell me, Commander. Because right now nothing is making sense!" Jeffrey gestured angrily. "You heard what was happening with Alexandria. They got into beef with another group... You know... it could be-"

"It's not anymore. Negan has already been killed," Maiya interrupted, knowing who he was about to name. However, she did not see the expression disbelief from her brother behind her.

Around the room, surprised gasps and 'what's' could be heard from every direction. Dante and Lillith exchanged disturbed glances as their minds processed this news. 

"You're kidding me..." Jeffrey's shoulders slumped in shock. 

"Y-You all knew Negan?" Glenn swallowed, feeling like his food was about to come back up.

"We worked for him at one point..." Lillith whispered, running a hand through her hair. 

"Why-Why didn't you tell me this..." Glenn lowered his head, not meeting his sister's sorrowful eyes. 

Though Maiya tried to explain what had happened between them and the Saviors and plead for Glenn to understand, he tuned her pathetic apology out.

He could practically see all the pieces fit together in his mind. This chain of events had been predestined the moment he saved Rick from that tank in Atlanta. 

Because of him saving Rick-Because of him meeting Maggie- Because of his part in the war against The Governor- Because of him deciding to go with Abraham to D.C.- Because of him not being fast enough to save Beth- Because of him honoring Beth's last wish to come here- Because of him attacking that outpost- Because of him not being there for Maggie when she needed him most- Because of him chasing after Daryl instead of staying with his wife-