Under The Radar

"Well this is the nicest party I've seen for an eight year old. Everything looks great and you two look great," one of Karma's friend's dad ended the conversation, giving me one last look and patting Kelly on the shoulder.

"He was really tryna say you look great. If the nigga kept staring I was finna sock his ass." Kelly mumbled, making me laugh.

It was no later than 6 and Karma's birthday party was getting thicker, the later it got, even though it ends at eight.

"Daddy, we wanna get on the bouncy house," Knight spoke up for her and Kannon who was standing beside her shyly.

"You both wanna get on it or Knight wants to get on it and is dragging you along?" I asked Kannon, picking him up and placing him on my hip.

"Both," he laughed, showing his missing tooth on the side.

"Mrs. Oubre someone's outside without an invitation." one of the two security guards said walking up to me.

I gave Kannon to Kelly and followed the guy outside, surprised to see Daija but I was expecting her sooner or later.

She had her back turned yelling at the other security guard until he looked up once he saw me coming outside, making her turn around.

"You bitch! What did you do?" She shouted, jumping over to me but the security guard that notified me grabbed her by both arms, keeping her from touching me.

"What're you talking about?" I crossed my arms, pretending to be oblivious.

"You did something!" she shouted trying to wiggle free but the guard wasn't letting up. "How am I supposed to take care of my daughter?"

I looked around for a minute with my mouth ajar then cocked my head forward in a 'duh' matter.

"A job maybe?" I shrugged nonchalantly.

She finally stopped struggling and laughed shaking her head, before she shrugged the guard off.

"This isn't over. You're gonna regret this."

"I'll see you in court." I gave her a fake smile and let it drop, before walking back in the house to celebrate my daughters birthday.

                     ______________

"And Kelly how do you feel knowing all this was going on under your nose?" Evyn asked.

He laughed, shaking his head, staring into space.

"I don't know how to feel honestly." he shrugged.

"He's cheating." I mumbled.

"What?" him and Evyn both looked to me.

"He's cheating. After court and the rumor... look I know when he's cheating." I crossed my arms.

"Rum-"

"And what made you start to believe he was cheating?" Evyn cut Kelly off.

                          _____________

"Cari," Kelly's mom cooed as I sat balled up at the foot of the bed with tears rolling down my face, squeezing the white shirt in my palms.