I Wish You Knew.

Alarm bells ring in the Jewelry store. This is the 12th robbery this week, and the police were getting tired of it. First the bank, then the grocery store, the bookstore, several houses, and the mall.

It wasn't the first time that things had gotten this bad. Last month, several department stores had been robbed, along with a few furniture stores and even a plant nursery. The police now decide to go to the best officer they can get.

~Meanwhile~

After another successful trip, a hedgehog (who hadn't left a single mark at the scene) had disappeared deep into his favorite cave. He was miles away from civilization, ensuring that he and his precious new items wouldn't be found.

The hedgehog was extremely lucky that he was able to install solar panels (that he was somehow able to keep hidden) for a few generators he'd found when he'd first moved into this cave a few months ago. He had a lighting system (that he also put together himself) and switched on a light in the area that he'd turned into a living room. First, he sat down today's items. Then, he arranged them to make the room how he liked it.

"It's almost perfect." he said quietly to himself. "But it's just not enough..."

He carefully watered the few plants he kept under the LED lights of the cave, and turned on the stolen t.v.

The first thing that appeared on the screen was the news of his latest robbings. The police warn to be careful of the 'Ghost Thief'. Angry homeowners complained that some of their furniture had gone missing, saying that they paid good money for what they had.

The hedgehog in front of the t.v. sighed. It seemed strange that the people would complain so much. After all, he'd only stolen things that were small, such as a pillow, a clock, or a picture frame that he had trouble finding in stores (though he would never take the picture inside. Yes, he was stealing, but he never stoop to such a disgusting level.). He never stole anything that seemed of sentimental value, either. Furthermore, he never broke anything when he stole, and was especially careful not to when he was stealing from a house.

As for larger things, such as the lights, plants, and furniture, he took those from stores. Stores that were already gaining so much income that they wouldn't miss a simple couch. Or a rug. Or a comfy chair or two. And everything had to be perfect, or else he wouldn't touch it.

If only they could understand. If only anyone could truly understand. It wasn't that he got pleasure from stealing from homes and stores. He enjoyed that he could do it without being caught, but that wasn't why he stole. He wanted his cave to feel like a home. Like the home he wanted so badly.

The one he knew he'd never have.

After the plants were taken care of, he turned on his space heater, which was right in front of the couch. Sadly, the heater didn't quite fit in with the look that he was aiming for, but he needed it. He became cold very easily, and it wasn't too warm in the cave. He was extremely uncomfortable without the extra heat.

Suddenly, he remembered that he'd left his "door" open. When he first started bringing things to his cave, he'd turned a giant boulder into a makeshift door, using it to block off the entrance to his hideaway. He now pulled it into place to "close" it.

Finally, he could relax. He got his blanket and layed on the couch, pulling the blanket over his chest. He turned on his side to look at his most prized possession: a single heart-shaped picture frame, holding a picture of the person he adored and admired. This person may never know the hedgehog's feelings for him, but that never stopped him from silently gushing over them.

"Sometimes, I wish you knew about this. My cave." He said to the picture. "And I wish that you could understand my emotions, even though I can't fully comprehend them myself. If only there was some sign that you would accept, or even return my feelings. I just wish you knew..."

He cried himself to sleep.