28. Midnight Chat

Chapter 28: Midnight Chat

Allen

Adopting her was going to be more of a problem than I had originally anticipated.

First off, we had no way of contacting Amy or the family she was currently staying with. Neither of us knew where she was staying or a way to find them. We would have to wait until Amy found us again, but that could be at any time.

Second was Mika's criminal record. Sure, I didn't care that he had to do those things because I knew he never wanted to do them. But the government cared. And if the government knew about him breaking the law all those years ago, they'd never allow him to adopt Amy.

Unfortunately, I don't think Mika realized either of those things yet. I didn't want to burst the little bubble he had built for himself around this whole idea. It only took him a week and then almost dying to get on the same page as me about it, but he sure seemed excited now.

And of course, with that excitement came an excess of energy.

It was nearing midnight by now. I hadn't slept at all today and barely got any sleep last night. Mika, on the other hand, had slept practically all day. All I really wanted to do right now was sleep while he didn't seem tired at all.

"You know," Mika said, leaning against the dresser while I got dressed for bed. "I was adopted once."

I lifted my head to look at him in shock. I thought he had been on his own his whole life - no parent figures at all, besides the foster parents that had abandoned him and Amy. "Really? What happened?"

"Yeah, I was about six when she found me, in that orphanage. She was a single woman who wanted a kid, and she took me home with her. Closest thing I've ever had to a mom - actually she was the one who taught me to cook and she was the first one to call me Mika instead of Mikael. She fostered me for a while, almost a year, I think, before she asked if I wanted her to adopt me, to become her son, officially. Of course I said yes. So she got all the paperwork done and my last name was legally changed from some long complicated thing I still hadn't learned to spell yet to Simmons. A week later, I found myself back at the orphanage. I have no idea what happened to her."

There was a look in his eyes, one that reminded me so much of the first time I ever heard him talk about Amy - back when he thought she was dead. Mika loved that woman. I wanted to hear more about her, considering how much of an affect she had on him, but I was just too tired right now.

"Mika," I sighed. "I love you, and I'm glad you're feeling better, but can we finish this conversation tomorrow? I'd love to hear more about her, just not right now. I'm too exhausted."

"Already? But it's only like..." He paused to try to see the clock.

I spoke before he could finish that sentence. "Worrying about you is exhausting." I chuckled lightly as his face fell, so he knew I wasn't upset about it. "Lucky you got to sleep all day. Me - not so much."

Without saying a word, Mika crossed the room and grabbed my hand. He then pulled me over to the bed and made me sit down on my side of it.

"Shut me up anytime you need to," he said, letting go of my hand. "Whatever I have to say is not more important than you needing to sleep."

He started to back away, but I grabbed hold of him to keep him close. "I always love hearing you talk, no matter what it's about. And I'd love to hear more about that woman tomorrow if you still want to talk about her. Just right now, I can't."

Mika leaned over and pressed a gentle kiss to my lips. Just as he started to break it, however, he put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me backwards so that I was laying on my back. I was about to protest - I was way too tired for this - but he only crawled over me to his side of the bed. The whole time he was smiling so widely, it was hard to believe it was the same Mika I knew.

I let out a small laugh. Of course it was Mika, he's just letting himself behave childish again. He was still young - in his early twenties, reminding me of the four year age gap between us - he was allowed to have some fun.

"You don't have to go to bed now," I said, pulling the covers over me. "I know you're probably not tired."

He quickly buried himself under the blankets. "Too late," he said, that smile still on his face. "I'm comfy now."

I shook my head. "Alright. Suit yourself." I then reached over and turned off the lamp, throwing the room into darkness.

Just as I was about to finally drift off to sleep, I felt icy toes against my leg. I opened my eyes to see Mika's face staring at me in the faint moonlight. He was smiling, still.

Before I could even say anything, he wrapped his foot around mine. I sighed. "What are you doing?"

To answer me, he moved closer, putting an arm over my side and his face into my neck. He had kept our feet entwined and now we were pretty tangled together.

"I love you and all," I continued, "but I really do need to get some sleep."

Mika kissed the underside of my jaw. "I know," he said, practically whispering. "I just wanted to hold you. I'm done now."

I kissed his head, hugging him back. This wasn't something he usually initiated and I definitely liked it. So that's how we stayed, wrapped in each other's arms and legs, until I started falling asleep once again.

And again, Mika was the reason I didn't quite make it to being asleep.

"Allen?" he asked softly.

"Mmhm?" I hummed in response, not wanting to open my eyes this time.

"Thank you. For looking for me." He snuggled closer to me, if that were possible. "I love you."

I smiled. He rarely says those last three words to me. I wish he said them more, if only because I like the way the sound coming from his mouth.

Pulling him even closer, I mumbled, "I'll always look for you. Just don't ever do that again."

I felt him chuckle, but that was the last thing I was aware of before I was finally asleep.